𝐱𝐯𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐠

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ ENDGAME} act ii. . .
. . .as deep as the seafloor

            CHAPTER SIXTEEN°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・
        — 'chariot race with a bang'

ೃ࿔*:・           — 'chariot race with a bang'

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・Rayn °❀⋆.ೃ*:

We finally arrived in Long Island just after Clarisse, thanks to the centaurs travel powers.

When we got to camp, the centaurs were anxious to meet Dionysus. They'd heard he throws the wildest parties, but they were disappointed. The wine god was in no mood to party as the whole camp gathered at the top of Half-Blood Hill.

Camp had been through a hard two weeks. A few building had been burnt and knocked down. The Big House was overflowing with injured campers, the Apollo kids were working overtime healing everybody. Everyone looked weak and battered as we crowded around Thalia's tree.

The moment Clarisse draped the Golden Fleece over the trees branch, something in the air changed.

Gradually, the needles on the pine tree started turning brown to green.

Everybody cheered. It was happening slowly but there was no doubt. The Fleece's magic was seeping into the tree, filling it with power and expelling the poison.

Chiron ordered twenty-four/seven guard duty on the hilltop, until he could find proper protection for it. An ad would be posted in Olympus Weekly right away.

In the meantime, Clarisse was carried on her cabin mates' shoulders down to the amphitheater, where she was honoured with a laurel wreath and a lot of celebrating around the campfire.

Nobody gave the rest of us that went with her a second look. It was as if we never left camp.

In a way, it was the best thanks we could've gotten. If they did admit we snuck out to the quest, we'd be expelled. I didn't want any attention, just to be normal, for once.

Later that night, as we were roasting s'mores and listening to the Stoll brothers tell us a ghost story about an evil king who was eaten alive by demonic breakfast pastries, Clarisse came over to us.

She walked in front of Percy, "just because you were cool one time, Jackson, don't think you're off the hook with Ares. I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to pulverise you."

I looked at Percy but he was just smiling at her.

"What?" She demanded.