XVI.

It had been nearly a month since Arabella was captured by Kylo Ren. Following her father's death, she discovered her mother's true identity and reluctantly aligned herself with Snoke. Adapted to life on Starkiller Base, she trained alongside Ren, assisting General Hux in minor First Order operations.

Despite Ren's limited assistance during training, Arabella found solace in his presence. She discovered a delicate balance between light and dark, feeling grounded whenever he was near – an almost anchoring effect. Whenever she veered too deeply into darkness, Ren would pull her back.

Yet, Arabella was aware that their time together only strengthened the Force bond between them. A mere touch could reveal their thoughts, emotions, and moods.

As they spent more time together, Kylo Ren grew closer to Arabella. Forced to miss training for two days due to a mission assigned by Snoke, he found himself thinking of her, even missing her presence. Arabella's wit, determination, and skill impressed him, drawing him in despite his initial reservations. He found her challenging attitude intriguing, appreciating her independence and resilience.

Though he still viewed her as a privileged princess, Kylo admired Arabella's self-sufficiency. Her fiery personality captivated him like a moth to a flame.

However, guilt gnawed at him. Despite falsely promising Arabella safety for Cosmara, he knew his allegiance lay with Snoke. Revealing her desire to leave the Empire could endanger her, a thought that troubled him deeply.

Kylo stood gazing out of the conference room window, where a supreme council had just concluded. He reached up to the sides of his mask and unclasped it, allowing the air to caress his pale skin. Rubbing his eyes, he let them adjust to the incoming light.

A cold sensation crept from his toes, inching up his legs until it enveloped his arms. Frowning, he glanced down at his customary attire. His vision blurred momentarily, and then he heard it: Arabella's laughter, echoing from a distance. With a sharp turn to the left, he spotted Starkiller Base, its surroundings blanketed in white snow. And there she stood, Arabella, her purple cape billowing in the chilly wind, accompanied by a blurry figure.

Snowflakes grazed Kylo's cheeks, leaving wet spots as they melted. He longed to feel what she felt as she scooped up snow in her hands, relishing the icy touch.

"Will you look at that," her voice faint as she displayed her snow-covered hands to the figure beside her.

"You'll get frostbite," the figure cautioned. Kylo rolled his eyes; of course, it was General Hux, who, in Kylo's estimation, had become too close to the princess.

As General Hux advanced, Arabella wiped her hands on her dress, emitting an audible gasp as she sensed him. Before she could turn, Kylo swiftly covered his head with the black helmet once more. Arabella spun around to face him.

"And how long have you been watching me?" Her lips curved into a flirtatious smirk.

"Long enough to know General Hux is right," Kylo's voice echoed with the same flirtatious tone.

"Maybe you should come join me," Arabella teased, tilting her head to the side. "It's a lovely day. Perhaps your skin would appreciate some sun and fresh air."

She took small steps toward him. "Come on, Commander Ren, what are you hiding under that mask?" Her tone was playful as she reached for a handful of snow, her fingertips turning bright pink.

Her eyes roamed his surroundings; he was standing in one of the meeting offices. Her delicate hands extended an invitation, offering him the small mound of white snow. Kylo lifted his arm, allowing it to rest on his gloved hand. Arabella's hand met his, the snow melting between their palms. Once it had all dissolved, he slowly lifted his hand, intertwining their fingers. He observed her closely, noting the sparkle in her brown eyes against the snowy backdrop, her nose and cheeks flushed crimson.

Arabella peered up at Kylo Ren, trying to discern anything through the silver slit. Moving closer, their bodies almost touched as she reached for the sides of his mask. A flicker of concern crossed her eyes, but Kylo remained impassive as she lifted the mask, revealing his features.

She took in every detail, marveling at his chiseled features sculpted with precision, his dark locks cascading across his forehead, adding to the enigma surrounding him. His eyes, deep and emotive, seemed to hold entire galaxies within their gaze. His nose was strong and distinguished, his lips full and expressive, his jawline sharp and defined, reflecting his strength of character. Yet, together, all his features softened him.

Kylo Ren stood still, awaiting Arabella's reaction. She brought her free hand to his face, resting it on his cheek as she studied him, a smile forming at the corners of her lips.

He's beautiful, she thought. Why would someone like him hide behind a mask? Was it to convey mystery and intimidation? If Ren had appeared without a mask the day he kidnapped me, I would have been more willing.

A small smirk played on Kylo's lips as he listened to her thoughts.

"Hello, Commander Ren," her voice almost a whisper.

"Arabella," his voice low and distinctive. Her stomach fluttered as her name escaped his lips. "You should come inside; you're freezing."

She withdrew her hand, looking around. They were alone, and she had lost track of time. The cold had numbed her feet and hands.

"Right," she said, pulling her hood over her head. "I'll see you later." With a smile, their connection broke. She wrapped her arms around herself, a huge smile spreading across her face. She couldn't believe what had just happened.

-

"Let me accompany you, Ren," Arabella pleaded, her words tapering off as she gasped for breath, her hand rising to wipe sweat from her forehead. "Snoke said I was to be at your side for whatever you needed. What if you need me for this?"

"I won't," his robotic voice remained stoic.

"Yeah? Well, you don't know that," she retorted, glaring at him.

Ren moved his wrist before catching his lightsaber mid-air—a trick Arabella had taught him. They had been training that morning, and Kylo was becoming more skilled and less frantic with his moves. He had learned Arabella's swift tricks, which meant he could now beat her in a training battle.

Arabella had entered the training room, insisting on accompanying Kylo Ren on his mission to find Lor San Tekka. Kylo had become agitated as she persisted in the matter.

"I don't think the Supreme Leader would be very happy to hear you're leaving me out of special information that might be valuable to me in order to defeat the Republic and—" Ren turned around, squatting down to her level, his saber just inches away from her neck. "Fine," he spat. "But if you get in the way, I promise to bring your dead body directly to Snoke."

Arabella smirked, feeling the heat radiating from the crackling red lightsaber. "Is that really a promise?"

Kylo Ren retrieved his lightsaber, ignoring Arabella's comment. From behind the mask, he took a deep breath in and out, not allowing his anger to spiral out of control. Arabella rose to her feet, dusting herself off and flipping her braid to the back. She began to walk closer to him, disregarding the anger emanating from him.

"Send the droid for me, I'll be ready," her voice teased.

In a second, Kylo ignited his blade once more, striking the light panel. Sparks flew as he hit it two more times, causing Arabella to take a few steps back.

"Gods, you're in a mood today!" she yelled before exiting the training room. She let out a frustrated breath as she stormed back to her room.

Arabella had grown accustomed to his mood swings and tantrums. She enjoyed pushing him to his limits before he lashed out, and she had learned when to walk away. She didn't want to go just to annoy him; she knew Kylo Ren was hiding something, and whoever this Lor San Tekka was, she knew he was important enough to put Ren on edge.

She knew who Luke Skywalker was, the great Jedi who had been dead or missing for a few years. She was curious to know why it was so important to Snoke to find out his location. She had never met a Jedi; her father had made her believe that they had all been dead. But if there was a map to the whereabouts of Skywalker, it meant he had to be alive. Perhaps in finding him, he could give her the answers about the Force bond, her powers, and maybe he knew her mother, Mara Jade.