IX.

"Where's the fleet we sent to Tatooine?" Arabella's gaze flicked up from her datapad, scanning the lieutenant standing before her. He appeared visibly nervous, his voice trembling as he responded, "They're en route back, ma'am."

"And?"

"They found nothing, ma'am."

Arabella rolled her eyes, her tone dripping with sarcasm, "Fantastic," she muttered, "You're dismissed." With a dismissive wave of her hand, the lieutenant bowed and left the Supreme Council room. Arabella sighed, feeling a headache building. Despite her efforts to locate the Resistance, her search had yielded nothing.

Taking a seat at the end of the table, she set her datapad down, reviewing her notes. In recent weeks, she had implemented significant changes within the First Order, leveraging her leadership skills honed from her upbringing. With rumors circulating about her lineage as the Emperor's daughter and her public "relationship" with Kylo Ren, fear of their power only grew.

"Another failed mission?" The voice of General Hux cut through the room.

"What do you want now, Hux?" Arabella's annoyance was palpable.

"I heard our troops found nothing, yet again," Hux remarked, standing with his hands clasped behind his back.

Arabella glanced up, her eyes sharp, "Is there a problem with that?"

"Not at all," Hux frowned, "I just find it intriguing, all this effort... for what exactly?"

"That's none of your concern," she retorted.

"Is it because of your friend? The one who joined the Resistance?" Hux probed.

Arabella's brows furrowed, "What do you know about—"

"I can help," Hux interjected, surprising her.

"How?"

"We're friends, aren't we? Am I mistaken, Princess?" Hux's gaze bore into hers.

Arabella recalled Hux's past kindnesses, despite Kylo's warnings against getting too close. "I'd like to think so, General," she conceded, curiosity piqued.

Arabella delved into his mind and then she saw it.
"You're a spy," she whispered, the words slipping out before she could stop them.

"Princess, if you want to find your friend, you mustn't tell anyone," Hux cautioned.

Arabella smirked, confident in Kylo's inability to breach her mind. "Your secret is safe with me, Hux," she assured him.

"Not even Kylo Ren," he emphasized.

"I am curious however, why someone like you, someone of your ranks is playing a dangerous game like this?"

Hux hesitated, his lips pressed together, "Say whatever you want Princess, perhaps Ren can't see past your actions because he's so wrapped around your finger, but I can see it, I can see you're just playing along. And I want to be on the winning side."

Arabella nodded, silently agreeing. "What do you want in return?"

"My safety," Hux replied firmly.

Arabella offered a nod of assent. "I'll notify you as soon as I have any information," Hux promised, bowing before leaving the room.

"Hux?" Arabella called after him, prompting him to turn back. Without hesitation, she enveloped him in a tight hug, surprising him. "Thank you," she whispered gratefully.

Hux, taken aback, awkwardly returned the gesture. "Very well," he replied, forcing a smile.

As Hux departed, Arabella returned to her datapad, a smile playing at her lips. Finally, a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness. Who would've thought Armitage Hux would commit treason right under Kylo Ren's nose?