XXV.

Aria and Arabella spent the entire afternoon catching up on the events of the past few months. Arabella shared with her the revelation about her newfound powers, her mother's unexpected allegiance to the Empire, and the complex dynamics involving Snoke, Hux, Kylo Ren, and their intricate relationship. She recounted her experiences living within Starkiller Base, serving the First Order, and undergoing rigorous training under Ren. 

Meanwhile, Aria recounted her journey of leaving Cosmara with her father, encountering Poe, and gradually falling in love with him, ultimately leading to her decision to join the Resistance. Currently, she resided on the Resistance base, undergoing pilot training.

Arabella chuckled fondly as she reminisced about the time Poe was captured on Jakku. Amidst the laughter, however, there lingered a sense of nostalgia for the simpler times, now overshadowed by drastic changes. Cosmara, once a vibrant planet, had been wiped out of existence, leaving behind only memories and Arabella.

"You'll find solace here, Bella. Everyone's like one big family," Aria reassured her friend.

But Arabella's presence was transient. "I can't stay here for long, Aria. I came back seeking answers. I need to bring Kylo back... I made a promise," she confessed, her gaze drifting to their intertwined hands. "To do that, I have to stand by his side, play the part so he can be convinced I'm on his side."

Aria's brow furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean, Bella?"

Arabella met her friend's gaze solemnly. "It means I must align myself with Snoke to defeat him. I have to embrace the darkness."

"No, what if you're lost forever?"

"That's a risk I'm willing to take. But I believe I'm strong enough," Arabella affirmed, her eyes reflecting determination, "All this suffering, everything that has happened to me has to have a meaning, it must count for something."

"Promise me that you'll come back? That you won't forget about me?"

"Aria" Arabella sighted, "You have been my best friend - my sister - since I can remember, you're the only family I have. Why would I forget you?"

Their intimate conversation was interrupted by Poe's entrance,"R2-D2 woke up," he announced. With wide eyes, Aria led Arabella to the main command room, where a holographic galaxy map was displayed, revealing a crucial missing piece.

"Luke..." Ledia whispered, hope glimmering in her eyes as the map neared completion.

Arabella approached Leia, determination etched on her face. "The map to Skywalker," she remarked, "I must find him."

Leia nodded understandingly. "We'll go together, in the Falcon," Rey proposed.

"Actually, I'll need a smaller, untraceable ship," Arabella interjected, she wanted to be able to leave or return to the First Order. She knew eventually she had to face Snoke and Kylo Ren but she wasn't sure when it would be. 

"I can assist with that," Poe offered.

"But, Bella, you're not exactly renowned for your piloting skills," Aria teased.

"I've improved," Arabella retorted, her gaze challenging.

Leia embraced Arabella reassuringly. "Do what you must, dear."

"Oh, actually, Bella, before you depart there's something I have for you," Aria said with a smirk, gently guiding Arabella back into the room they had left just a few minutes ago. She peered under her bed and pulled out two large suitcases, leaving Arabella puzzled.

"What—" Arabella began to wonder, but before she could finish, Aria opened one suitcase, revealing a luxurious pile of fabrics in an array of colors and textures. Arabella's mouth fell open in astonishment as she realized what she was looking at.

"My clothes..." Arabella whispered, joining Aria on the ground, her fingers delicately tracing the folds of a light pink dress.

"I tried to pack as much as I could. I figured you'd want a piece of Cosmara to take with you," Aria said, her smirk widening as she noticed Arabella's surprised expression. "And look, I brought back different crowns, hair accessories, your favorite shoes, and this..."

Aria held up a dark red leather book adorned with gold lettering that read 'Cosmara.' Arabella recognized it instantly—it was a history book of Cosmara, one she had cherished since childhood.

"Open it!" Aria urged eagerly.

Arabella's fingers trembled slightly as she slowly flipped open the book. Inside, she found a portrait of her parents and herself as a child. Tears welled up in Arabella's eyes, cascading down her cheeks and staining the pages of the book. Aria wrapped her arm around Arabella, offering silent support as her friend found solace in the memories.

"You don't know how much this means to me," Arabella's voice quivered with emotion.

"It's the best I could do. I know these past months have been tough for you," Aria replied softly.

"I'm starting to feel like I have bad timing," Poe joked from the doorway. "Your ship is ready, princess."

Arabella nodded, standing up and wiping away her tears with the back of her hand.

"Here, let me help with those," Poe offered, picking up the suitcases and leading the way to the hangar, with Arabella and Aria following closely behind.

-

"Here I go," Arabella whispered to herself as she entered the coordinates for Ahch-To. She glanced down at Aria, Poe and Leia waving goodbye with a mixture of anticipation and resolve.

"I'll see you soon!" Aria's cheerful voice echoed, her radiant smile warming Arabella's heart.

As her craft ascended and the planet dwindled in the distance, Arabella closed her eyes, inhaling deeply. A gentle smile graced her lips.

"Here I go, Kylo."

END OF BOOK 1.