25. Testing times

Things were going great at home. The kids was happy and everything was going great at work. One day Julianna's teacher called me at work. I thought something bad had happened to her.

"Mrs . Hanson could you and your husband come by the school? I need to talk to you about Julianna".

"Omg is she okay?"

"Yes I just I need to talk to you and go over some things ".

"Oh okay" we'll be right over". I went and found Tommy and we headed to the school. We met with her teacher.

"Mr and Mrs. Hanson thanks for coming . I need to talk to you about Julianna"

"Okay we're listening".

" Well lately I've noticed that Julianna has been having a hard time concentrating in class. She looses focus. I will ask her a question and she will look at me and laugh . I would ask what color is this and she couldn't tell me and when I tell her and ask her to repeat it she just looks at me. Also we are practicing on writing our letters and she's having trouble with that also. I know this only kindergarten but she's having some issues ".

"So what exactly are you saying"?

"I'm no Dr. Mr. Hanson but I think she has a learning disability ".

I looked at Tommy and he looked at me.

"Learning disability"

"Yes and I would like to run some tests on her and also I think you should take her to the Dr and get her a brain scan".

"Omg" I started to cry.

"My baby". Tommy hugged me , he was looking hurt as well .

"I'm sorry I hate to tell you this but I want you to know that we are here to help. I will work with her the best way I can and she won't be treated any different. I just want to catch this problem early on so it won't be a problem for her or you guys in the future. We have a wonderful program that we could enroll her in. I would remain her teacher but she would also have other teachers as well".

"Okay we will do whatever we need to" omg thanks for letting us know".

"Also I would like for you guys to work with her at home, that could help to" we will get her set up for further testing tomorrow and I can also get her a Dr appointment for the brain scan as well".

We both said "thanks".

"Tommy omg"

"Baby it will be okay. We are going to help her and get her help".

We walked down the hall , Julianna was in the classroom and we watched her. She was laughing and looking around. How did we miss this? We thought she was normal. She dances and plays normal. I felt like a bad parent. We took her home . We both sat down with her .

"Julianna baby are you okay"?

"Yes mommy"

"What is your name?"

"Juli, Julianna " she laughed

Tommy picked up a blue notebook" babygirl what color is this"? She just stared. That's when we realized it was true. Our baby had a learning disability. I started crying and ran out of the room. I felt so guilty. I blamed myself.

"Babygirl this is blue" can you say blue?"

"Bweew" she laughed.

Tommy smiled.

"Babygirl go play with your toys okay".

"Ok daddy".

Tommy came and found me . I was in the room crying. He kneeled down in front of me . Rubbed my thighs.

"Tommy it's my fault"

"No Jasmine we are not going to blame ourselves. It could have happened to any one of our children. "

"Tommy I was so mad when I was pregnant with her, maybe I got to angry or something and it messed with her brain. Omg what am I even saying" I cried

"Baby it's not your fault. It's not mines either. Sometimes these things happens. We can't blame ourselves all we can do now is be strong for her, and get her help. Thats what we can and need to do as her parents ".

"Tommy I wanted to have another baby but now I don't think so. I screw them up". I cried.

"Jasmine Hanson. Our kids are not screwed up. They are fine. Stop that. You did nothing wrong. We can have another baby whenever you're ready."

"Tommy I'm worried about her"

"You're supposed to worry about her you're her mother. I'm worried about her too.but I wanna help her don't you"?

"Yes, of course she's my baby, whether she has down syndrome, autism or whatever she's my baby she came from me and you".

"Right I feel the same way. I love her no differently ".

"She will be okay Jasmine we will get through this".

Just then Julianna came in the room .

"Hungry mommy". We laughed. I went to her and kissed her.

"I love you baby"

"Love you mommy. Don't cry. I okay".

I smiled , hugged her then cried. Tommy smiled and hugged her too. She laughed. We went and got the other kids and explained the situation to them . Kiyah understood. We had to break it down for the boys since they were only a year older than Julianna. They all went and hugged her and said " we will help you baby sis". I was so happy to see that. I fixed dinner . We ate, the kids took baths, we took showers, and everybody laid down for bed.

"Tommy hold me"

"Yes ma'am"

I cried and let out a moan.

"Hold me tighter"

He did I cried and let out a deep breath. He rubbed my hair.

"Baby it's okay".

"Yes I know. I'm scared tommy. I just want my babies to succeed, I want them to be happy,I don't want them to be bullied because they're different.

"We won't let that happen"

"I know". He held me real tight. It felt so good. Tommy was my safe haven. that's why I loved him so much. He always comforted me. I held him back . We kissed for a while and fell asleep.

The couple of weeks were rough. It was confirmed Julianna had a learning disability. I was afraid to have sex with Tommy. I wasn't on birth control anymore. I didn't want him to use protection because we are married. I thought it was my fault about Julianna and I didn't wanna give another baby my fucked up chromosomes. Tommy said I was being ridiculous. He was so upset with me.. but he let it go for now. We worked with Julianna everyday and she was starting to understand more and more each day. I was a little relieved but still worried. I felt so bad denying my husband sex. I just didn't wanna risk it . Was I being selfish? Am I wrong?