Trials and Determinations

Out on the practice battlefield, Rockruff was barking excitedly, cheering Ash and Hayley on. Ash places his Grassium Z into his Z-Ring while Kukui helped Hayley with her Poisonium Z.

"Let's do it, Rowlet!" shouted Ash, starting his first ever Grassium Z-Move with Rowlet, hooting as it moved with Ash. "Bloom Doom, Go!" Suddenly, nothing happened.

"Eh?" asked Hayley, confused.

"Cario? Salan?" asked Meeko and Rogue, tilting their heads.

"That's weird. It didn't work." said Ash.

"I'll say." said Hayley.

"You're doing it wrong." said Mallow.

"Huh?" he asked.

"Ash, we went over this a bunch yesterday." Mallow tells him, then demonstrates the move again. "You should pose like this."

Rowlet trilled in agreement. "Oh!" said Ash.

"Your success at duplicating her example is at 53%." said Rotom, causing Ash and Mallow to grunt in frustration.

"You're maintaining good Focus Blast though." said Kukui.

"Pika, Pika." said Pikachu.

"Is it mt turn yet?" asked Hayley. "I'm getting bored over here from waiting."

"I suppose now would be a good time." said Ash, walking off the practice battlefield.

"Ready to try Acid Downpour?" Hayley asked Rogue.

"Sal....Salandit." said Rogue, nodding nervously as Kiawe sets up a Pokémon target for her.

"It's ok, Rogue. I'm nervous too." whispered Hayley, causing Rogue to smile up at her.

"Salandit. Salan, Salan!" he smiled, seeing that he wasn't the only one feeling this way.

"Hayley, it's okay to be nervous." Kukui said to them.

"It is? Salan?" they both asked, and he nodded.

"As long as you both stay focus and contrate." he tells them.

"Lucario." said Meeko, encouraging.

"Thanks, Meeko. Thanks Professor Kukui." said Hayley.

"Salandit." said Rogue, butting heads with Meeko before heading out onto the battlefield.

"Ready! Let's go, Rogue!" shouted Hayley as she and Rogue started their Z-move. "All right, here we go.....at full power now! Go, Acid Downpour!"

Aiming at a random target stick on the other side of the field, Rogue created a purple swamp like pool, causing the wood of the target to be burn and crumble. "Wow." said the others as Rogue panted.

"That was awesome, Hayley." said Ash.

"Thanks, Ash." she replied.

"Lucario!" said Meeko, jumping into Hayley's arms.

"Landit!" said Rouge, climbing up Hayley's back.

"Are you sure you're both prepared for your grand trial?" Sophocles asked.

"Course we are." said Ash. "We always deliver when it really counts."

"I hope so, for your sake." said Kiawe.

"This is my first time watching a grand trial ever." said Lillie. "I can hardly contain myself."

"Yeah, me, too." said Lana as Ash and Hayley's Pokémon ran out to them.

"Hey, Rockruff. You and Leilani want to train with all of us, too, don't you?" Ash asked them.

"Piki!" said Leilani, raising a wing when suddenly Rockruff bites Ash.