Part 39

It was another long night you spent at the office. You returned home late again, like you've been doing for the past couple weeks. You parked in front of the house, noticing all lights were off. Carefully, you made your way inside, trying not to make any sound.

Placing your coat and bag on the chair, you made your way to the kitchen and started making coffee for yourself.

"You're back." You heard a voice behind yourself, making you jump.

Turning around, you saw it was Tony. You let out a breath before continuing what you were doing. "You scared me."

"What were you doing, exactly?" Tony asked you, making you furrow your eyebrows as you turned around to face him.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been coming home late for weeks. So, what were you really doing?"

"Work." You replied as if that was the most obvious thing ever. Tony knew you didn't have the strength to do anything in the last months of your pregnancy with the twins, and after they were born, you were on your leave, so when you got back there was a load of unfinished work waiting for you.

"Are you sure?"

"What are you implying here, Tony?"You asked, too tired to even think.

"You and Louis." He mentioned your new partner, making you roll your eyes.

"Oh, my God. Tony... "

"Well, what am I supposed to think? You've been coming home late for weeks!"

"You used to do that before the twins were born, and I didn't say anything to you-"

"Because I had work!"

"Well, I do too!"

"Somehow, I find it hard to believe that. I've seen the way he looks at you-"

"What are you talking about? Are you seriously accusing me of cheating?" You asked him. "We're married. We have kids. Do you think I would throw away all of that?"

"I don't know. You tell me. I remember how you used to be before we got married."

"What?"

"Don't act as if you don't know, Y/N. You weren't exactly known for sticking to one man. You had your fair share of one night stands."

"Just like you did."

"At least I cut them all off when I met you."

"Right." You scoffed at his lie. "Yes, you did."

"Don't change the topic. Are you cheating on me with him?"

"No! And stop yelling, you'll wake the kids-"

"As if you care about our kids. If you did, you wouldn't come home this late because you were spending time with another man. I knew you wouldn't change, Y/N."

"Then why did you marry me?" You asked, already too tired of this fight. You were feeling drained and you could barely keep your eyes open.

"A small part of me believed you could change. I believed I could change you."

"Is that all you saw me as? Your newest project? You thought you could change me? Is that the only reason why you married me?" You asked him, your heart beating fast against your chest as you looked at Tony. He didn't say anything. "You know what, I think we need a break."

"I agree." Tony said. "I don't even know why we're still married."

You gulped as he looked up to meet your gaze. You couldn't recognize the man standing in front of you. It was not the same man you married.

"You don't want to be married-"

"You're still wearing that ring. Aren't you?" He nodded at the wedding ring on your finger.

"If that's the only thing keeping this marriage together, then here." You took the ring off your finger, along with the engagement ring and grabbed his hand.

"Y/N-"

"No." You said, placing the rings in his hand before you walked away. "I hope you'll be happy now."

"Y/N, wait-" He started running after you, but you already closed the door to the bedroom and locked them behind yourself. "Open the door."

"No. Leave me alone." He could hear in your voice you were crying.

Only a couple minutes later, Tony was driving down the street. He needed some time alone to think about things between you two. Keeping one hand on the steering wheel, he looked at the rings in his other hand. Did he want to be with you anymore? Was it the best choice right now?

Did he have feelings for you anymore?

No, he didn't. At least, that's what he told himself. He knew it wasn't true. He still loved you just like how he loved you the first day. But, if he kept telling that to himself enough times, maybe he could convince himself it was true one day.

He lowered the car window and glanced at the rings one more time before he threw them out the window. He made his decision.

The next day, when you woke up you realized you passed out on the bedroom floor. When you went down to the living room, there were papers waiting for you on the table. As soon as you read them, you could feel tears sliding down your cheeks again. It was the divorce agreement.

"Mom?" You turned around, only to see Jules looking at you from the bottom of the stairs. She just woke up. "What's going on?"

You couldn't say anything, you just opened your arms and she rushed to hug you.

"It's gonna be okay." You told her as she squeezed you tighter.

You woke up from dreaming about that day once again. Wiping a tear that escaped from your eye, you sat up and saw the night had already fallen.

You stood up, feeling as if you were suffocating. You opened the window, but it wasn't helping either. You were nauseous and you didn't know why. Tanya walked in, looking at you and noticing how you looked.

"Are you okay?" She asked you and you shook your head.

"No. Something is wrong. I need to call Tony."You told her, grabbing your phone to call him. He answered quickly. "Tony, is everything okay with the kids?" You asked him, feeling something was wrong, your stomach twisting with unease.

"Y/N, I was just about to call you. Amelia is in the hospital."