Fallen

Demember 15th, 2013

Chicago, Illinois

She was alone. The street was dark, lit only by the occasional streetlight, and snowflakes fell through the cold winter air, covering the ground. The young girl pulled her thin jacket tighter around her body, suppressing a shiver. She hated life, and she hated living like she did. They had fought again, and now she had been thrown out of the house for the night as punishment. She kicked at a loose stone, sending it clattering down the street. Stupid foster family. Like they gave a damn about her.

Suddenly there was light. A bright, blinding light that was gone as soon as it had appeared. Darkness surrounded the young girl as the ground vanished from beneath her feet, and the next thing she knew, she was falling.

She cried out in alarm, arms flailing desperately as the darkness parted, revealing quickly approaching ground. A dark road lay directly beneath her, and headlights of a single car could be seen speeding towards her. Before the girl could brace herself, it was beneath her. She hit the hood and rolled up the windshield, and then she was back in the air.

The air was forced from her lungs as she hit the pavement, and the world spun as her head cracked against the ground. She heard the car screech to a halt, and then there were voices of alarm, but they faded into the distance as blackness crashed over her, and the young girl spiraled into unconsciousness.

...

May 10th, 2008

Sioux Fall, South Dakota

Dean Winchester adjusted his grip on the steering wheel of his beloved Impala as he guided it around a bend in the road. His eyes flickered over to the mile marker that was caught the glare of his headlights, and he nodded as he caught a glimpse of a dilapidated barn through the darkness. Not even the moon was out to shed its light on the countryside, but familiarity had left the Winchester knowing every dip and turn in the well-traveled road.

There was stirring in the seat beside him, and a rarely seen smile graced the eldest Winchester's lips as he cast his brother a sidelong glance. After three harrowing days, Sam was finally sleeping, driven to the point of pure exhaustion. Three days of fruitless chases and sleepless nights, and for the first time, he looked peaceful. Relaxed.

Dean turned his eyes back onto the road. He knew he didn't have much time left until his deal was up, but something about Sam's final admittance that there was nothing left to try — his yielding to the inevitable, even if it was only for the moment — it somehow had given Dean the strength to carry on. It wasn't Sam's job to worry about him, after all. Dean could take care of himself. But he couldn't stand to see his brother in distress.

There was a flash of light in the sky, as bright as lightning, and Dean frowned. The sky was clear — he could see stars sparkling faintly in the night above. He squinted as something in the air moved, and he leaned forward as he tried to make it out.

Then his eyes snapped open wide. It was a human, and it was headed directly towards the car. Before he could react, it crashed into the hood and rolled up the windshield. Dean slammed on the brakes with both feet as the glass shattered under the impact, and the Impala screeched to a violent halt. His brother braced himself against the dashboard, crying out in confusion and alarm, and Dean gripped the steering wheel even tighter, his knuckles white as his heart raced within his chest. A glance in the rearview mirror showed the outline of a small, unmoving body in the glow of the taillights. "What the hell?!" he yelled, and he threw open the car door and got out.

"What the hell happened?" Sam did the same, and Dean could hear the panic in his voice as his eyes found the still, frail human in the road. "You hit someone?"