Hopeless

Three days passed, and Alex saw no sign of Castiel. Ezekiel remained a constant presence in the house, as still and as quiet as a statue. His brother, however, proved to be more company; no matter what topic Alex brought up, the seraphim always had a story to tell. However, as the days wore on, his visits became further and further in between.

The television flickered in the dimly lit room, but the young angel barely paid it any attention. Her eyes were half-closed as she lay on the couch, fingers drumming on her chest as she listened to the voices from the speakers. Her wing lay pressed up beside her, still aching from its break, but Alex did her best to put the pain into the back of her mind.

A half-eaten bag of chips lay on the coffee table in front of her, and Alex's grey eyes wandered down to it as her stomach growled, but the fried snack didn't seem to hold any appeal. With a groan, the angel pushed herself to her feet, shoulders rolling back as she looked around the darkened living room. "Ezekiel?" There was no sign of the seraphim, and Alex frowned in confusion; it wasn't like him to leave without announcing it.

She crossed over to the fridge and pulled it open, lips pursing in a small frown at the dismal state of the interior. It was nearly empty, its contents having been picked through over the course of several days, and Alex pushed the leftovers from side to side as she searched for something appetizing.

"What are you doing?" A deep voice behind her had her jumping, and Alex winced at the sudden pain in her wings as they flapped in surprise. Arms enveloped her, holding her near, and Alex leaned back into the solid warmth.

"I was looking for dinner." The young angel kept her gaze on the refrigerator as she spoke, and she felt Castiel hum behind her, his chest vibrating against her back.

"Don't bother. I thought that we would go out." Lips pressed against the back of her neck, the breath warm and light, and Alex squirmed in surprise. "I'm sorry that I haven't been here in a while," the seraph continued. "With Micheal gone, heaven has been in chaos; several of the angels have come to me in search of support."

"You're the best angel that could have come to." Alex wrapped her fingers around his wrist, and after a second, she kicked the fridge shut. "It's okay, I understand."

Her promise had the seraph humming again. "How are you doing?" he asked. "Have you had any more nightmares about Lucifer?"

"I'm fine." The words were a lie, a painfully obvious one at that, but Alex stuck to it. "Just give me some time to get over it." She wiggled herself free and turned around, stepping back to put some distance between her and the seraph ."So, dinner you say?"

"Go get ready." Castiel stepped aside to let Alex past, and the young angel's wings brushed against his as she hurried away. She rushed up the stairs to where the bedroom lay, her duffle bag still on the floor next to the dresser. The young angel quickly shucked off her sweatshirt and reached for a clean jacket to pull on over her black t shirt. Her hand hesitated over the collar, fingers dancing over the fabric of what had once been Dean's. The jacket was oversized, hardly attractive, but it was warm — and who knew where in the world Castiel would drag her. The call of her name made the decision for her, and she quickly shrugged on the coat as she hurried back down the stairs. "Hey, Cas?" Alex came to stop in front of the seraph, and Castiel turned to face her. "Dean — where is he?"

"Dean?" For a brief moment, Castiel's face twisted in confusion before the lines disappeared. "He went to Lisa and Ben. He's safe there." His hand stretched out, and Alex took it.

Her eyes fell closed as the ground shifted, and wind whipped through her hair and clothes. Alex felt her stomach twist sickeningly, surprised at how long it took before her feet once again touched solid ground. Only then did she reopen her eyes, blinking to let them adjust to the new lighting. "Where are we?" She stepped away from the seraph as she looked around the small, brightly lit street. The air smelled of fresh rain, and the neon shop lights caught in the puddles on the side of the road.