Sam Interrupted

February 5th, 2010

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

No one really did anything for the next several days. Alex cleaned the whole house in an attempt to keep herself distracted, but nothing really worked. Sam and Dean stayed there, helping out in whatever ways they could. Alex avoided them as much as possible. She'd finally spent the night at Craig's, and had decided that she wasn't going back. Not now.

There was a knock on the spare bedroom door. "Alex?" That was Craig. "You okay in there, sweetheart?"

Alex was hunched up on the corner. "I'm fine," she insisted, voice cracking.

"There's a guy here to see you. He wants to come --"

The door opened, and Dean stepped through. Alex turned her head away, hiding her tear-stained face. She heard the door close, and Dean sat down next to her.

"Go away."

"Bobby's found us a case."

"I don't care."

"You need to get back out there." Dean put his hand on her knee. "It's not your fault."

Alex pushed him away. "It is my fault," she growled. "I knew the Colt was useless. I-I forgot they died, all because I thought t-there was something we needed to know that I forgot. I knew there was something I had forgotten! And --" She staggered to her feet, shaking her head. She stumbled over to the bed, voice dropping to a low mumble. "I forgot. I'm useless."

Dean followed. "You're not useless, Alex."

Alex turned on him. "I am too! Look at me! What have I done? How have I made anything better? Everyone is still dying, and I have done nothing. I let them die, Dean." She angrily brushed tears away. "I'm no hunter. I'm not any help to you guys. Maybe . . . maybe I should just leave."

"Alex." Dean stepped closer, and Alex stepped away. "You're not useless. How many times have you saved our lives, huh? Remember two years ago? You brought me back from hell, saved me from the buruburu. You figured out Uriel was the rat, saved me from that damn cannibal, remembered about the ghouls, and the horsemen. I would have killed Sam if it wasn't for you!" Realizing he was on the verge of yelling, Dean lowered his voice. "You're not useless, Alex. We'll figure it out, even if you can't remember."

Alex just shook her head. She sat down on the bed.

"Come on." Dean held out his hand. "A case is just the thing to take your mind off of it all."

Alex took it. Dean held her tight when her hand trembled.

He led her back Bobby Singer's house. Sam and Bobby were sitting in the study, waiting. Alex rubbed her eyes, knowing her eyes were still red from crying. Thankfully, it was ignored.

"What's up?" Dean asked.

"I got a call from an old friend. Name's Martin. Maybe you've heard of him. He was a fine hunter for a while. Checked himself in to Glenwood Springs Psychiatric Hospital a few months back. He called a little while ago; supposedly got a case down there. I checked it out, and he's right." Bobby handed Sam a piece of paper. "In the past few months there's been over eight deaths. All written up as suicides."

"So?"

"So the place hasn't had that many deaths. Ever. Just go check it out. Get your minds off the apocalypse."

Sam and Dean looked at each other and shrugged. "Okay, fine. We'll check it out." Dean let out a sigh.

Sam agreed. "We'll leave in the next five minutes. Alex? You want to come?"