Lazarus Rising

September 18th, 2008
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Four months. That was how long Alex lived alone with Bobby Singer. The old, grouchy hunter had welcomed her help with slightly reluctant yet open arms, and when Alex wasn't working in town, she was in the study, reading and learning. Four months of going over Bobby's notes had left her well versed in every known supernatural creature under the sky, and she had even picked up bits and pieces of different languages; Latin and Greek had come the most easily to her, but she had picked up a few words in Russian, German, and even Japanese.

Four months had also given her time to learn about combat. It wasn't much — despite her eagerness to learn, her small stature left her barely able to take down a full-grown man in hand-to-hand combat, much less a supernaturally strong being — but she felt comfortable wielding the Colt 1911 that Bobby had given to her.

They heard no word from Sam Winchester. No matter how many times Bobby would call, the hunter would never pick up nor return their messages. Other hunters came into her life, though. Alex got to meet a few of them: Garth was a regular, so were Duncan and Charlie Hayward. There were plenty other hunters who swung by, too many names to keep straight.

It took four months, but September 18th did finally arrive. Exactly four months after Dean had died. Alex woke up early that morning, too excited to sleep. She skipped down the stairs to find Bobby in the kitchen, breakfast sitting on the counter. "Morning," she half-sung as she scoured around the kitchen for a clean bowl.

Bobby Singer looked up from the thick book he was reading. "You're chipper today. It your birthday? Anniversary of some kind?" he added when Alex shook her head.

"Course not." Alex let out a light, teasing laugh as she dug around for some cereal. She had learned to look past the hunter's grouchy attitude in the past few months, and she liked to think that the two of them had grown close.

That thought was partially confirmed by the small smile that Bobby gave her. "Yeah, well, something's up. So what is it?"

"I can't tell you. But it's big." Alex went over to the fridge, and her shoulders fell. "Dude, who drank all the milk? I just bought a new gallon a few days ago." She slammed the door shut with a frown. Looks like she was going into town early.

She hurried back up the stairs and slipped into her room — her own, personal room that she had converted from a book storage room — to get dressed. After realizing four months ago she was staying with Bobby, she had gone out and boughten new clothes; however a large portion of her wardrobe still consisted of Dean's old shirts and jackets. She pulled on a pair of faded jeans and a black t-shirt and fastened her necklace around her neck before she hurried back down the stairs.

"Going to the store?" Bobby guessed from the table. "Grab some beer while you're out. I put in an order with Jacob so he knows you're coming." The phone rang, and the hunter got up to answer it, leaving Alex to roll her eyes and step outside.

She walked over to her car, a 1971 Marquis, but she paused near the door, tipping her head to look up at the sky. The air was a bit chilly for just a t-shirt, and she turned around to head back to the house.

"Call one more time and I'll kill you!" Bobby's loud, booming voice reached her ears as she stepped back in through the front door, and Alex frowned; she had rarely seen Bobby get angry like that.

"Who was it?" she inquired as she grabbed Dean's leather jacket off of the hooks on the wall.

"Some jackass claiming to be Dean." Grief flashed through Bobby's eyes, followed by something like a curious hope.