Swap Meat

February 8th, 2010

They pulled into a motel several hours later. The sky was growing light in the east when Alex's head hit the pillow. "Ugh. Wake me when the apocalypse ends." She heard Sam and Dean collapse in the bed across from her. Dean grumbled out something about Sam being a bed hog, but their arguing quickly ceased. They fell asleep.

...

"Wake up." Dean was shaking her awake. "We got to go."

"Unnnggh." Alex rolled over, burying her head back into her pillow. She whined out a "why?"

"Case. A couple of old friends need help." Dean threw back her covers, and the girl let out a yelp at the cold outside air. "Get your ass out of bed." Dean smacked her on the back to emphasize his point. "We're going to have lunch then leave."

Alex reluctantly rolled out of the warm bed. "I hate you."

"I know."

...

"Okay, so what's going on?" Alex sat across from the two Winchesters at the local McDonalds. "You said something about old friends?"

"Yeah. Donna use to babysit us back when we were kids." Sam reached over and stole two of Dean's fries, ignoring how his brother protested. "She called John's cell this morning and said she had a ghost problem. It attacked her daughter."

"Okay. Sounds simple enough." Alex glanced at Sam's meal. "You know, you have your own fries."

The Winchester picked up his burger. "I won't for long." He took a large bite before smacking Dean's hand away.

Alex watched the siblings pettily argue over food. While neither were looking, she stole some fries for herself, stuffing them in her mouth.

...

Housatonic, Mississippi

Dean pulled the Impala in front of a large Victorian style house before killing the engine. All three got out and made their way up the front walk to the porch. Dean rung the doorbell.

A woman answered. "Dean and Sammy Winchester." Her voice grew soft at the sight of them. "Come in, come in."

They were ushered into a living room. In between two couches sat a coffee table. On the near couch sat a young teenage girl. Dean and Sam sat down on the couch, and Alex awkwardly bumped Sam to one side so she could sit as well.

"Who are you?" The woman looked curiously down at Alex before looking at the Winchesters. "Is she yours?"

Sam blushed, and Dean shook his head. "No, no. Donna, this is Alex. She's been working with us for the past two years."

"Ah. It's nice to meet you." Donna shook Alex's hand. Alex smiled, voicing her greeting as well. She studied Donna. Tall, blonde, wavy hair. She was pretty. "This is my daughter Katie."

The blonde teen in the chair smiled at them, but the cheerfulness seemed forced.

"I have snacks." Donna turned to walk into the kitchen. "I made your favorite." She returned several seconds later carrying a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a pitcher of lemonade. "So, how long has it been?"

"The summer before 6th grade," Sam replied.

"Mmm, I remember. You assigned yourself your own reading list."

Dean chuckled. ''That's right. I forgot about that."

"Your mom happens to be be the best babysitter we ever had," Sam told the girl.