Into the Nothing

June 16th, 2010

Cicero, Indiana

It was a month later. Alex was walking down the street, on her way home from Pizza King. She kicked a rock down the street, watching as it bounced into the sewer grate.

"You're Alex, right?" Alex turned at her name. A teenage boy was standing behind her, watching her closely.

Alex huffed. "Maybe." She flared her nostrils, pausing when she caught the smell of sulphur. She tensed, looking around.

The boy seemed to notice. "Are you okay?"

"Of course." Alex raised her good wing defensively. The smell was growing stronger. Maybe she was just paranoid.

"But you are Alex? I mean, there are not many female angels around here." The boy's voice changed, growing deeper. Alex's heart sank to the floor as the boy blinked, eyes turning black. Then she ran. She could here footsteps following close behind, and she forced herself to go faster. Damn wings, she cursed. If only they weren't broken, I could fly out of here. She ducked into an alley, searching for a way out. Above her head, a ladder hung. She jumped, grabbing on to the bottom rung. She began to haul her way up when a hand grabbed onto her ankle, pulling her down.

Desperate, Alex lashed out, kicking violently. There was another yank, and she lost her grip, falling to the ground. She scrambled to her feet, fist balled. The demon stood in front of her, blocking her way out. Alex flared her good wing. "Go away," she growled. "Leave me alone."

"I'm afraid I can't to that." The demon's black eyes glinted in the dusky light. "Crowley's been looking for you for almost three months now. He'll be glad I found you."

Rage boiled in her stomach, but Alex forced it down. "I'm not going anywhere with you." She glanced around for an escape.

"You don't have a choice." The demon stepped forward, and Alex bared her teeth. He reached out to grab her shoulder, and Alex saw her chance. She ducked under his arm, ramming an elbow into his side on the way through. He stumbled, and turned to face her. "Running's pointless." He stepped closer. "You can't hide from me."

Alex let him step closer until he was only a few inches away. "Then I guess I'll just have to kill you." She suddenly reached out, placing a hand over his forehead.

The demon laughed when nothing happened. "You can't kill me."

"I haven't tried yet." Alex focused on her rage, letting it spill down her arm, pushing her grace along. It exploded into the demon, and his face twisted in agony. Then he collapsed to the ground.

Alex took a step back, unsure what to do now. She looked down at the body, realizing she couldn't leave it there. Finding little other alternative, she dragged it behind the dumpster before quickly wiping down the ladder, freeing it of fingerprints. Then she ran.

...

She arrived back at her house a few minutes later. Dean's car was in the driveway, signifying he was home. She burst in the front door, breathing heavily. "What are you doing home?" Dean hurried into the front room from the kitchen. He studied her, his face growing deep with concern. "Is everything okay?"

Alex shook her head. "Crowley found me," she whispered. "No, no, not Crowley. One of his demons. B-but it's okay. He's dead." The words tumbled breathlessly out of her mouth.

Dean put a hand on her shoulder to steady her. "Calm down." His quiet voice seemed forced, but Alex did as he said. "There are demons? Here?" When Alex nodded, he frowned. "And they're after you."