Swan Song

The hours ticked away, and neither Crowley nor Lucifer returned to visit her. Alex's anger faded, replaced with loneliness which quickly hardened into determination. They couldn't keep her there forever; there was always a way to escape. She dropped down beside her bed, out of sight from the door, and turned her attention to the iron cuff around her ankle. The lock seemed crude and simple, made of thick cast iron, and the young angel quickly scanned the room, searching for something — anything to pick the lock with. Both the chair and stool were metal with no loose pins or fragments. The bed was the same, and when Alex rolled underneath it to test the springs, they were secured tight. After five minutes of scrabbling at the joints, Alex admitted defeat and pulled away to nurse her broken and bloody nails.

After a few minutes of repose, she turned her attention to trying to pry the cuff off; the effort was short-lived and unsuccessful, as the iron refused to budge. The angel hissed, frustrated, and the consideration of breaking her ankle crossed her mind — she quickly filed the idea away under 'last resort.'

Castiel had mentioned grace — she had some, being an angel. Maybe ... maybe it could do the trick. She closed her eyes as she tried to summon it, unsure of how it worked, and she squeezed her eyes shut as she tried to will the lock to become undone.

Something sparked in her gut, the slightest ember of electricity, and the young angel's eyes fell open, unsure if she had imagined the pain or not. "Dammit." Alex curled her fingers around the metal and tried again, muscles tensed and teeth grit. She just needed to unlock the cuff, and then she would be free.

The lock sprang open with a click, and the chain clattered to the ground as it fell away. Alex's wings fluttered in surprise, and a grin split her face as she jumped to her feet. Finally. She bolted towards the door and wrenched open the door as she rushed through.

A solid figure blocked her back, cold and unyielding, and Alex stumbled back in surprise. Crimson wings spread outwards as the devil stepped into the room, and the air turned to ice. Alex backpedaled as hard as she could, her breath hanging in the chilly air as the archangel's anger manifested itself. "Going somewhere?"

Alex's gaze slipped past him to the door, and she was caught unaware by the fist that connected with her jaw. The impact felt like a freight train, the blow knocking her off her feet and onto the hard stone ground. Her wings splayed out, and Alex gasped as the air was knocked from her ribcage.

Something cold seeped into her chest, constricting her lungs, and the young angel scrabbled at the stone floor as she tried to draw in air against the hold of Lucifer's grace. Her eyes started to glaze over as panic, burning hot in her ribs, took over, and she didn't even see Lucifer's foot until it was too late.

The boot came down hard on her left wing, and a scream was ripped from her throat as the thin, delicate bones shattered. Pain seared up her spine, and her limbs writhed in agony.

The grace around her lungs disappeared, and Lucifer hauled her to her feet, holding her upright when her own legs failed her. "Remember what I said about my mercy?" The words were a low murmur, confident and vile, and Alex tried to gasp out a reply. "Already you've forgotten what I'm capable of." His fist came to rest in front of her face, and Alex shied away, expecting another bone-crushing blow.

The devil's finger flicked out, catching her in the nose, and the force behind it send her flying back into the wall with a crack. Pain flooded her face, already wet with blood, and Alex slid to the ground. She could hear Lucifer approaching, his footsteps dark and slow, and she curled up as best she could to protect herself from the devil's wrath. "Get up," came the order, and when Alex refused to move, he repeated himself with a strong kick to her ribs. "Get. Up."