Jump the Shark

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

It was more than a two months after the accident. Bobby had been fairly worried, but she had recovered well, and by the end of week two, her movements were almost completely back to normal, and Bobby had taken out the fishing-line stitching, which had admittedly stung very much.

Sam and Dean didn't stopped by during those whole two months, so Alex was stuck there. Once she was back on her feet, she'd walk down block to the grassy hill. There she'd sit there for hours, staring up at the sky.

One time, when she was sitting by herself, Castiel appeared. Alex looked up. "Oh, hey Cas. Uh, what's up?"

"Nothing." Castiel looked down at her. "Where are Sam and Dean?"

Alex shrugged. "Dunno. Hunting, I suppose."

"And you're not with them?" The angel tipped his head to one side.

"No. I got hurt, so I've been on the sidelines the past couple weeks." Alex shrugged.

Castiel sat down beside her. "What happened?"

"Werewolf." Alex lifted her shirt to show him the scar that ran from her ribs down to her hip.

Castiel frowned. He reached out, running rough fingers over it. "I'm sorry."

Alex felt a slight warmth trickle through her side, and she pushed Castiel away. "Dude, seriously? Don't waste your mojo on me. I'm gonna live."

Castiel tipped his head in confusion, but politely dropped his hand. Satisfied, Alex turned her gaze back out over the field, watching the clouds in the sky.

"What are you doing?"

Alex shrugged. "I come here everyday. I just sit here thinking."

"Hm."

"What are you doing here?" Alex finally asked. "I thought you'd be busy."

Castiel shook his head. "I was sitting quietly in a park. Nothing more." They lapsed into silence.

...

One morning, Alex was awoken by a knock on her bedroom door. "Get up," she heard Bobby say.

"What do you want?" she groaned, rolling to her feet.

"Dean called." Alex heard retreating footsteps, telling her that Bobby had disappeared back downstairs.

Alex stumbled out of bed and made her way downstairs, wincing at the cold wooden floors. She stepped into the study to see her phone sitting on the desk. She picked it up. One missed call. Dean. She called him. He answered. "Hello?"

"Dean-o."

"Alex. Good. Why didn't you answer?"

"I was asleep." Alex rolled her eyes. "What's up?"

"Have you ever heard of Adam Milligan?"

"Maybe." Alex shrugged. "Who's he?"

"Uh, I don't know. He, uh, he claims that he's John Winchester's son."

"Oh." Alex let out a breath. "Yes, I do know of an Adam."

"And, uh, is he our, uh, brother?"

"As far as I know, probably. The show doesn't specifically say either way," Alex lied.

"We'll be there in a few hours." Then Dean hung up, voice tense.

Alex sighed, deciding to eat breakfast.

"What'd Dean want?" Bobby was sitting in the kitchen, flipping through an old book. "He and Sam okay?"

"Yeah, they're fine." Alex sank into the chair across from him. "Are those two always that rude, or is it just me?"