Who Ya Gonna Call?

A few hours later, Bobby called them. Alex answered. "Hello?"

"Alex? Bobby."

"Oh, hey, Bobby." Alex looked over at Dean. "Uh, what's going on?"

"I've been trying to call you since yesterday."

"Oh, yeah, sorry," Alex apologized. "River Pass didn't have a signal, and I was too tired to answer last night. Sorry."

"So you guys are done in River Pass? How'd it go?"

"Uh, it went fine, I suppose. Uh, Rufus and Ellen and Jo are okay."

"Wait?" Ellen and Jo were there?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Speaker phone," Dean told her. Alex complied. "Hey, Bobby?"

"Dean?"

"Yeah."

"How'd you handle the demon thing?"

"Uh, turns out it wasn't actually demons. It was War."

"War?"

"Yeah. Four horsemen War," Alex explained. "He was making people hallucinate. Half the town thought the second half were demons, the second half thought the first half were demons."

The other end was silent for a few seconds. "So how are you guys doing?"

"Uh, fine, fine." Dean told him. "How about you?"

"As good as I can be without legs. Listen. The hospital says I can go. So, hurry up and get your asses over here and get me out."

Alex and Dean exchanged a glance. "Uh, yeah, okay, Bobby. We'll get you out tomorrow morning when we get back."

"How's Sam?" Bobby asked. "I haven't hear his voice yet."

"Uh, we're going to have to call you back," Dean said. He reached over and ended the call.

...

Baltimore, Maryland

They drove non-stop back to St. Martin's Hospital. They got there late that night, and crashed at the same motel they had stayed at several nights ago. Not much was said, apart from necessary words.

...

The next morning, they sat down for a quick breakfast before heading back over to the hospital. They went down to Bobby's room to find him still sitting in his wheelchair, and still wearing his dirty baseball cap. However, this time, he was fully dressed. He turned when the door was opened, watching Dean and Alex step in.

The first thing out of his mouth was, "Where's Sam?"

Dean and Alex exchanged a glance.

"Dean," Bobby looked at his brother. "Is Sam okay?"

"Yeah, Sam's fine," Dean answered slowly. "He, uh, decided he needed to take a break from hunting."

"Nothing happened I hope."

"No, nothing that big. He, uh, we just talked it over, and agreed it was for the best."

There was silence. Finally, Bobby spoke up. "Well, we going to leave or what?"

Dean silently nodded, and walked out the door, leaving Alex and Bobby alone.

"How you doing, girl?"

"Fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Fair enough." Bobby started wheeling himself towards the door. Alex held it open for him. She watched him go down the hall, following at a distance.