The Curious Case of Dean Winchester

"Might've found us a case." Sam's voice roused Alex from her sleep. She rolled over to find the bed next to her empty.

"Let me see."

Alex sat up to see both Winchesters sitting at the table. "Yeah, in southern Colorado." Sam spun his laptop so his brother could see. "Sounds like our kinda thing, right?"

Dean was silent for a few seconds, eyes flickering across the screen. "Yeah," he finally agreed. "That's weird."

"What?" Alex finally, and reluctantly, threw back the covers and got up, wincing at the cold floor. She hurried over to the Winchesters.

"Bobby gave us a case. A twenty-five year old male was found dead by his wife." Sam pulled his laptop back to him. "The cause of death? Old age."

A surprised noise escaped from the back of Alex's throat. "Old age?" she repeated. "Yeah, that sounds weird." She tried to stifle a yawn.

Sam noticed. "Go back to bed," he suggested. "It's been a long night." When Alex hesitated, he added, "We'll leave in the morning."

Alex nodded. "Okay. Thanks." Alex walked back over to the bed.

"Yup." Sam and Dean turned back to their conversation, talking in hushed voices.

...

She was being lifted. Alex cracked open her eyes, confused. "Wha . . ?"

"You're up." Sam looked down at her. "We thought you'd never wake up."

"Coulda tried something else." Alex leaned her head against Sam's upper arm, stifling a yawn. "Don't need to carry my like a baby."

"You are a baby," Sam teased. He let her down. "Your stuff's packed. Dean's checking us out."

"K." Alex grabbed her bag off of the floor and stumbled towards the door. Sam reached out to steady her as she almost tripped over a pillow. She gently brushed him off, rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, and made her way out to the Impala.

...

January 12th, 2010

Trinidad, Colorado

It was an eight and a half hour drive down to their destination, including the brief stop for some sort of brunch. Alex was dropped off at the nearest motel, which happened to suck. Alex reluctantly sat down on the bed, desperately trying not to think of where those spots on the sheets came from. She flipped on the tv. Basic cable. She settled with watching the Simpsons.

...

Half an hour later her phone rang. Alex eagerly answered it. "Sam! Hey."

"Uh, hey. How's it going?"

"Good, good." Alex looked around. "This motel sucks."

"Sorry."

"What'd you find?"

"Well, we're going to talk to Mrs. Whitlow. She's, uh, she's the wife of one of the missing people in this town."

Alex frowned. "You think they're connected? A twenty year old grandpa and a couple of missing guys?"

"Bobby seems to think so."

Alex smiled at the mention of the hunter. "Well, he's usually right. Carry on."

Sam hung up, and Alex tossed her phone onto the bed.