My Bloody Valentine

February 16th, 2010

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Alex followed Dean into the St. James Medical Center. She adjusted the collar of her blouse, looking around. They had driven up last night after catching wind of what the papers called a 'sexual suicide.' What that meant . . . well, they were about to find out. But Alex was pretty sure the word 'cannibal' had come up in Sam's briefing. She ran fingers through her blonde hair, letting out a soft breath.

"Yeah. Agents Marley and Ford," Dean was saying. Alex flashed her ID, not giving them enough time for them to properly inspect it. "We're here to see, you know?"

"Ah yes. My name is Dr. Corman. Come right in." The man ushered them farther into the building and down several white hallways. Alex faintly smiled. He looked like a nice man. A little overweight, but nice. She followed them into the morgue. "I'm not really sure what to make of it myself," the doctor admitted. "It's . . . unusual, to say the least." With that, he pulled open one of the cold chamber compartments, sliding it out. He pulled back the white sheets, and both Alex and Dean visibly recoiled. The man's body was mutilated. Chunks of flesh were missing from several parts of the body, and blood stained the mouth, chunks of flesh still caught in the lips.

Dr. Corman opened a second cold chamber, pulling back the sheet. It was a young woman with the same type of wounds, ranging down to the stomach. "Are those bite marks?" Alex looked over at the doctor, who shared their disgust.

"Uh, yeah."

"So let me get this straight. They ate each other. Seriously?" Dean seemed just as disturbed.

"Yes. That is what we believe." The doctor moved over to the first body. "The autopsy showed that their stomachs were completely filled with flesh. It's like they literally ate until they were stuffed."

"That's, that's . . . " Dean started,

"Yeah," Dr. Corman agreed.

"What were you thinking caused it?" Alex asked.

"Drugs, maybe."

"Like PCP? Kind of like Big Lurch."

The coroner just stared at Alex in confusion, so Dean broke in. "Okay. Well, thank you." Dean nodded in farewell. "Uh, if we have anymore questions, we'll call."

"Okay." The doctor began putting the bodies away, and Dean and Alex left.

"That was disgusting." Alex said when they finally left. "Why didn't I go with Sam again?"

Dean snorted in agreement. Then he looked down at Alex. "Big Lurch?"

The girl shrugged. "Felt like an apt comparison."

Dean didn't protest.

...

He drove them back to the motel they had checked into last night, and Alex immediately changed back into jeans and a t-shirt. She exited the bathroom, pulling on a large grey sweatshirt. "Dude," she told Dean. "Turn up the heat. We're back in Sioux Falls, if you haven't noticed. It's freezing up here."

"Turn it up yourself," Dean retorted, not looking up from his laptop. He had taken off his suit coat, and now only wore his blue-striped tie and oxford. "Catch." He tossed her a beer bottle.

Alex reached out, catching it a little less than gracefully. "Thanks." She walked over to the heater, placed the bottle on the heater, and turned it up. At that moment, the door opened, and Sam walked through. Without saying a word, he took the bottle off of the heater.

"Hey!" Alex protested. Sam ignored her. He dropped two fast food bags on the table.

"How'd it go?" Dean looked up.