Welcome to the Jungle

January 29th, 2009
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

It was almost February when Alex heard from Dean again. He called her up one day. "Hey. Alex."

"Yup. That's my name. What's up?"

"So, since you seem so intent on hunting, we've got a case a few miles east of where you are. Seems like a simple vamp case. I figured that if you're going to be a hunter, you better get some experience under your belt."

"Uh, sure, if it's not out of your way." She lowered her voice. "Truthfully, I'll be glad to get out of here and away from Bobby. He's driving me insane."

Dean laughed quietly. "Tell me about it. But, uh, I just want to make sure this is what you want, okay? Because hunting's not fun, its not pretty. It's full of nightmares and pain and all types of crap."

"Tell me about it. You know my first real not-a-ghost case had zombies? Remember? They weren't just zombies either. They were zombies that died and became ghosts. I don't do zombies, Dean. I still have nightmares."

"It doesn't get any better," Dean warned.

"Yeah, well, I'm already in. I spent most of last summer burying bodies with Bobby, okay? They weren't pretty either." She sighed. "Come on. I've already been on a few cases. If I don't like it, I'll just come back and hang with Bobby. He wants me to go to college."

"You should."

"Eh. I mean, I haven't exactly been to high school, and I don't actually exist in this world either. It's not looking too promising."

Dean grunted in acknowledgment. "Well, okay. We'll be by sometime tomorrow."

"Awesome. See you then. Tell Sammy I said hi."

"Yep." Dean hung up, and so did Alex.

"Who was that?" Bobby walked into the room.

"Dean. He says since it looks like I'll be a hunter, and he and Sam found an easy vamp case past our way, he asked if I wanted to go along. I said sure."

"You seriously got your mind set on being a hunter?" Bobby walked by her and grabbed a beer out of the fridge.

"Bobby," Alex sighed, "I honestly don't see how I have a choice. I mean, you, Dean, Sam, you guys are all hunters. And you're basically the only family I have. Plus, I kinda know what's going to happen. I can't just turn a blind eye to all that."

Bobby let out a grunt. "Guess you got a point." When Alex nodded, he continued. "Fine. Go ahead."

Alex grinned. "Thanks, Bobby."

...

The next afternoon, the Impala pulled up behind the house. Dean got out, knocking on the door. "Hey. You ready?"

"Yep." Alex slung her bag over her shoulder. "See ya, Bobby."

"Stay alive," Bobby yelled back.

Alex snorted in laughter. "I'll see what I can do," she promised.

She got into the backseat, throwing her bag against the far door. "Samster. We meet again," she said in a Russian accent.

Sam said nothing.

Dean got in, and they drove off. "Okay." Alex leaned over the backseat. "Tell me. What we got?"

"Typical vamp case down south. Should be quite simple. A good starter case."

"Hm." Alex shrugged, wanting to point out that she wasn't exactly a rookie anymore. But she said nothing. After all, they knew best.

...