When the Levee Breaks

November 9th, 2009

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

She came back down a few hours later, driven by hunger. As she entered, Bobby hung up the phone. He let out a frustrated, "Balls."

Alex frowned. "What's wrong?"

"That was Rufus," Bobby explained, walking into the living room.

"Ah. What's up with Ruf-dog?" In response, Bobby slid something over to him." 'Key West sees ten species go extinct'," Dean read.

"Yup. Plus Alaska." Bobby turned his attention back to Dean. "Fifteen-man fishing crew, all stricken blind, cause unknown. New York, teacher goes postal, locks the door and kills exactly sixty-six students. All of this in a single day. I looked them up, no doubt about it."

"Seals," Alex half stated, half guessed.

Bobby nodded gravely. "And they're breaking. Fast."

Alex muttered curses under her breath.

Bobby shifted. "You know how to stop it?"

Alex shook her head. "Sorry. I . . . if I had gotten here sooner . . . I'm sorry."

Bobby grunted. "Sorry don't fix it." He sighed. "Doesn't matter."

"How many are left?" Dean asked.

"Who knows? Can't be many. Where the hell are your angel pals?"

Dean shrugged, glancing up at Alex. "Any ideas?"

Alex shook her head. "Castiel won't answer. I guess his superiors chewed him out pretty bad."

"I'm just wondering," Bobby began.

"What?"

"The apocalypse being right and all . . . is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?"

"What do you mean?" Dean put his elbows on the desk, and Alex plopped down on the couch.

"I mean, I don't like this any more than you do, but Sam can kill demons. He's got a shot at stopping Armageddon."

Alex sat up. "What do you mean?" she asked slowly.

"What do you think we mean," Dean snapped. "He can kill Lilith."

Alex shook her head. She had to tell them. "No. We can't let him do that."

"Why not?"

"Because!" Alex snapped. "Lilith is the last seal!"

Before she had finished her sentence, she knew what had happened. She was no longer in Bobby's living room; instead, she was a romanesque-style room. "Alex."

Alex turned at her voice. "Zachariah."

"You know."

"Yes, I do."

Zachariah walked forward. "Now, the question is how."

Alex shrugged. "Listen." She knew she was in a shitload of trouble. "It doesn't matter how, alright?"

"And where did this wall in your mind come from?" Zachariah stepped forward. "Who exactly put it there?"

Alex said nothing, and forced herself to be calm.

"You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that is was Castiel." The seraphim sat down on the corner of the table. "I haven't asked him, and, to be quite frank, I don't think he would answer."

Alex shrugged. "I doubt he would as well." She rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hand. "So. I expect you are either going to kill me, or you will keep me here until Sam breaks the final seal."