Social Diseases

For the next two weeks, Sam had them chasing cases all across the country. A possible werewolf case in Sacramento. That quickly turned out to a mountain lion. Possible ghost case outside of Atlanta. That was quickly disproved.

...

July 21st, 2009

Manchester, New Hampshire

They traced a rougarou in New Hampshire. Three people dead, partially eaten. They actually were going to talk to one of the victims friends when it happened. The door was open, and they went in. Alex went off to the left, Dean went to the left, and Sam headed upstairs.

Alex found herself in the living room. Everything looked normal. She rubbed her finger over the grips of her handgun, looking around nervously. Then she heard a small shout of alarm, and she booked it into the kitchen.

There was Dean. He was staring down at a man, who was kneeling over another man. Dean was trying to light his torch, but for some reason, the lighter wouldn't light. The rougarou stood up, fingers tightening on the handle of a butcher's knife.

On instinct, Alex raised her gun and fired. Her aim was dead on, and the crack of the fracturing skull could be faintly heard over the boom of the gun. The rougarou crumpled to the ground, dead. Alex frowned. That shouldn't have happened. It should have distracted him, not killed him.

"I know."

Alex looked over at Dean. Had she said that out loud?

"What was that?" Sam tore into the room. He stopped, looking down at the two bodies. "What the hell?"

"I don't think that was a rougarou." Dean frowned. He rolled the dead man over with his foot. "Gunshots don't kill those sons of bitches."

"So he was human?" Alex looked disgusted and horrified. "Oh my God he's a freaking cannibal." She looked down at the gutted man. "He-He doesn't even cook them? That's disgusting and totally unhealthy." She looked up at Dean, eyes wide. "You can get sick eating raw meat."

Dean glared up at her. "Wow. Way to focus on the important things." He stood up. "Well, do we leave them?"

Alex left Sam and Dean to discuss clean up. She walked around the kitchen, then, grabbing a dish towel, opened the fridge. "Fuck." She felt sick.

"What?"

Alex let the fridge door fall open. A severed head sat there, as well as several other body parts in bags and jars. "This -- This is sick."

There was a thump. Alex literally jumped, eyes wide. "What was that?"

Both Sam and Dean stood up, whipping out their guns. Neither spoke, but somehow, they knew exactly what each other was thinking. Sam raised his eyebrows. Dean shrugged. Then he pointed towards the floor. Sam nodded, and they snuck out of the room.

Alex followed. The Winchesters stopped beside a door, and the brothers once more exchanged looks. Then, Sam opened the door. The stairs disappeared into dizzying darkness. Sam pulled out his flashlight and stepped down the stairs, and Dean followed. Alex felt for a light switch, but there was nothing. She reluctantly followed, pulling out her flashlight as well.

They reached the bottom of the stairs. Alex swung her flashlight about and actually screamed. White, hot terror tore through her body, and she thought she would faint. A body hung from the ceiling by its ankles. It was almost cut in half, the large gash stopping halfway down its ribs. The head was gone. Dean was at her side immediately, and then the whole room was lit in a harsh glow.

As Alex came back to her senses, she realized Sam had found the light switch. Part of her wished the lights were back off. She turned into Dean, squeezing her eyes shut.