Metamorphosis

September 26th, 2008
Detroit, Michigan

They didn't get back to the motel until late the next morning. Dean had refused to go back, and they had spent the rest of the night at a different motel. Dean climbed out of the car and slammed the door. Alex got out, but decided not to go in right away. Instead, she pulled out a dollar bill and headed over to the vending machine. She heard yelling, and a loud crash. Finally, curiosity got the best of her. She went over to the door and opened it.

"I would want to hurt you-" Dean was yelling.

Sam's eyes were watering, and he had a split lip and a bloody nose. He looked down at the ground.

"-and so would other hunters!" Dean continued. Alex stepped inside.

Sam looked up. When he saw her, his gaze instantly hardened. "You were gone. I was here. I had to keep on fighting without you. And what I do, it works," he insisted.

"Well, tell me. If it's so terrific, then why'd you lie about it to me?"

Sam didn't respond. He kept staring at Alex. She felt herself shrinking away from all the hate.

"Why'd the angel tell me to stop you?" Dean went on.

Sam looked back at his brother, surprised. "What?"

"Cas said that if I don't stop you, he will. See what that means, Sam? That means God doesn't want you doing this. So are you just going to stand there and tell me everything is all good?"

Sam couldn't meet his brother's gaze, so he looked down at the floor. They stood in silence. Dean was breathing heavily, and Alex stepped closer, putting him between her and Sam. Suddenly, Sam's phone rang.

Sam answered it. "Hello? Hey Travis, yeah hey." Pause. "Uh," Another pause. "It's good to here your voice too, yeah. Um, look, it's not really a good time right now. It's-" A much longer pause. "Uh, yeah okay. Just give me the details, and uh . . ." Pause. "Carthage, Missouri." He walked over to the nightstand and scribbled something down. "Looking for Jack Montgomery. Right." With that, he hung up. Dean watched his younger brother, who looked up at them. "We've got a case."

Dean was silent. Both Sam and Alex waited expectantly. Finally he let out a huff. "Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go." He grabbed his duffle bag and slung it over his shoulder.

Sam wiped the blood off his lip and began packing his things. Alex warily walked over to her bag, which was already packed, and picked it up. "Was it you?" Alex jumped at Sam's voice.

"I told you. If I was going to tell Dean, I would have already done so." Alex turned and met his gaze. "I don't approve of it, Sammy, but I'm no snitch."

Sam held her gaze for a few seconds. "I believe you," he finally said. He dropped his voice to a whisper. "I'm not doing anything wrong, right? I'm saving people instead of killing them." He sounded like he was not only trying to convince Alex, but also himself.

Alex sighed. "Just be careful. That's all I'm going to say." With that, she walked out of the motel.

Sam joined them in the Impala. Alex purposely slid into the backseat, leaving the front to the two brothers. She dug around in her duffle bag before pulling out her MP3 player. "How long 'till Carthage?"

"Five, six hours," Dean replied.

"Sweet." Alex threw her feet across the backseat and leaned her back against the door, stretching out. She pulled her headphones out just in time, as Rock of Ages came on. Around a half an hour later, Dean suddenly changed the cassette. Alex lifted up on earpiece to see what he was playing. A large grin crossed her face as Eye of the Tiger began to play. Sam threw his head back and groaned. Alex tossed off her headphones and began drumming along with Dean, using Sam'sWanted Dead or Alive started up. Sam put his head in his hands. "Please don't," he grumbled.