Yellow Fever

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

She woke to the smell of bacon. Cold sunlight filtered through the window, unlike the warm light that accompanied the summer. Alex stretched and got up. She silently made her way down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Bobby standing near the stove. "Morning," she yawned.

"Morning to you too." Bobby motioned to a plate next to him. "Help yourself."

Alex did so. "Where's Sam and Dean?"

"They're already gone."

"Gone?" Alex looked up sharply.

"Yup. Got up before I did, hightailed it out of here," Bobby explained.

"Great," Alex muttered. She sat down at the kitchen table and nibbled on the fried meat. "I suppose they wanted to get away before I woke up."

"I'm sure they had their reasons." Bobby neither confirmed nor denied her statement, but Alex was pretty sure she was right. He looked over at her. "Can't really blame them for wanting to be on their own."

"What does that mean?" Alex asked, slightly offended.

"Not because of you," Bobby quickly backtracked. "They're just use to it being the two of them, you know?"

"Fine," she sighed. "Guess I better make myself useful." She quickly wolfed down the bacon and put her plate in the barely-functioning dishwasher. Running upstairs, she got dressed in a clean pair of jeans, one of Dean's shirts, and one of his old jackets she had commandeered. Going back downstairs, she stopped by the kitchen.

"You going out?" Bobby asked her. When Alex nodded, he continued. "Get some food while you're at it. Store's running low." Alex checked the fridge to confirm what he said. She made a mental note of what to buy. She turned to leave. "And get some beer," Bobby yelled over to her.

"I'll see what I can do." She walked to the back door, grabbing the keys to her Chevelle out of the drawer. Stepping outside, Alex was immediately hit with a gust of cold air. She turned up the collar of the jacket and hurriedly made her way down the steps. She got in the car, checked the glove compartment to make sure there was a copy of some fake license Bobby had made for her, and drove out of the salvage yard.

She reached town within five minutes, and parked the car in the grocery store parking lot. Baring the cold, she got out and quickly made her way into the grocery store. "Alex!" She had barely gotten three steps in before she heard her name.

"Charlie." Alex let out a genuine smile. "How's it going?"

Charlie Dayton, the owner of Charlie's Antiques and a Vietnam veteran, made his way over to her. "Good, good. It's good to see you again." He let out a crooked smile.

"Yeah, you too." Alex had spent her first four months working for him at his store down the street, and had come to know him well.

"When you didn't show up last week, I got worried," the old man continued.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Something, something came up," she admitted.

"I hope nothing too bad." Charlie let out a small frown. "How's Bobby doing?" He changed the subject.

"He's doing very well. He hasn't gotten out much. Sent me down to get some food."

"He hasn't been drinking much?" Charlie asked worriedly, lips pursed. Bobby had become known as the town's drunk, and many people were worried for Alex and her safety.

"No. He's gotten a lot better. The past four months were really tough on him, but I think everything's turning around."

"Good." The veteran nodded. "If you're not too busy, I would love it if you stopped by the store. I got a new shipment in a few days ago, and Braydon's been rather busy lately." Alex knew Braydon Dayton, Charlie's son. He had often stopped by the store. Tall and dark-haired, he was only five or so years older then Alex.