Wishful Thinking

She awoke the next morning for find she was the only one in bed. She sat up, rubbing her eyes. Sam glanced over at her. "Slept well, I suppose."

"Mm-hmm." Alex yawned, stretching her arms above her head. Sam just shook his head. "What's the matter, Sammy?" Alex studied the hunter.

"It's just . . . there are two beds, you know."

"I had a nightmare." Alex got up, wincing as her feet touched the cold, thin carpet. "Thanks for not killing me in my sleep."

"Hm. Thanks for the idea."

Alex couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

...

They spent the next three or four days there, looking for cases. Dean somewhat forgave Sam, but what had happened that night was never brought up. One night, Dean and Sam went out to a bar, leaving Alex on her own. She turned on the lights, curling up in her bed. She had gotten over the whole zombie thing from Halloween, but her heart still raced in fear at the thought. She turned on the tv to get her mind off of them.

At some point, she fell asleep. She woke up when the door opened. She sat up, gun in hand. "It's just us." Dean held up his hands.

Alex lowered her gun. "Sorry."

"No, it's fine. You had the right idea." Dean closed the door behind him and Sam. "Get packed. We're leaving."

"What?" Alex stood up, silently protesting as she left the warm bed. "It's, like, midnight or something."

"Well, we've got a case. In Washington."

"Washington?" Alex shook her head in disbelief. "We're in Pennsylvania! That's on the other side of the country!"

"Yep. If we leave now, we'll be there the day after tomorrow."

"Unless you want us to drop you off at Bobby's," Sam added as he packed his things.

"No, no." Alex shook her head again. "Just let me pack." She threw her clothes that where laying by her bag into her bag. Then she checked the bathroom for other stuff. Lastly, she grabbed her necklace out of her bag and put it around her neck. She paused a moment to finger the anti-possession charm next to the angel wing pennant. Bobby had given it to her during those four months when Dean was in hell. It was much different from the tattoos the Winchester's had; instead of a flaming star in a circle, it had a silver Chinese symbol scrawled into a red base - Alex had no idea what it meant. The edges and back were the same silver metal. It was old, but worked fine.

With a sigh, she pulled herself out of her thoughts and placed the necklace around her neck. "Okay. Let's go."

She walked out to the car and threw her bag into the back. Sam and Dean got into the front seat. "Aren't you guys even tired?" she mumbled, using her bag as a pillow, laying down.

"Not really."

"You guys are insane," she yawned, falling back into an uncomfortable sleep.

...

She awoke when the Impala hit a large bump, sending Alex up into the air. The sky was light with a rising sun, and clouds dotted the sky. "Where are we?" Alex mumbled, sitting up.

"Somewhere in Illinois," Dean responded. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good, I think." Alex leaned over the bench seat. "Hey Sammy."

"Hey." Sam glanced over at her uneasily as Alex leaned her head against his shoulder. "What are you doing?"

"Making you uncomfortable."