Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

"Hey."

Alex looked over at Sam, sitting in the front seat. "What?"

"Found a new case." He turned his laptop so she could see it. "Sioux Falls. A man witnessed a murder."

"So?" It was nine days after they had taken Famine's ring. Nine days hunting down a nest of vampires that ended up being a total bust. "That means nothing to us."

"So get this. The man, Wells, claims he got a good look at the murder. Recognized him too; said it was Clay Thompson. Only problem? Clay's been dead five years."

Alex recoiled. "Is this going to be a zombie case? I hate zombies."

The door opened. "Zombies?"

"Sam found a case," Alex explained. "A man was killed by a dead man."

"Sounds like fun. Where?" Dean slid into the driver's seat.

"Sioux Falls," Sam repeated.

"Oh, good," Dean nodded. "Is it near Bobby's? We should check on him."

"Uh, yeah." Sam looked at the article again.

"Awesome." Dean nodded. "Sioux Falls it is." They peeled out of the gas station parking lot.

...

It was a four hour drive. At one point Sam and Dean stopped, changing into their suits and ties. Sam hung up his phone. "We're to meet Mr. Wells at the Philip Avenue Diner."

"Ooh. I love that place." Alex leaned back in her seat, adjusting her necklace beneath her shirt.

...

February 27th, 2010

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

They pulled into Sioux Falls, and Dean parked the car outside of the diner. Sam dialed Bobby's number again. It rang, but no one answered. "Bobby, when you get this message, call, okay?" Sam said. Then he hung up. Sighing, he got out of the car.

Dean followed. "Is he still not home? How far can he get in that chair?" They entered the diner, and Alex followed at a distance.

"So what do we do?" Sam asked quietly.

"Well . . . I guess we just do it ourselves," Dean shrugged. The diner wasn't very crowded, and a man sat at the far booth. He and Sam sat down opposite of the man. "Mr. Wells? Agents Phillip and Coulson. FBI."

Mr. Wells studied them, then nodded.

"You said you witnessed a murder. Is that right Mr. Wells?" Dean addressed the unkept-looking man. "Why don't you tell us what you saw in your own words."

"Call me Digger." The man looked suspiciously over at Alex. She flashed her FBI badge just for good measure before taking a seat on the bar stool across from them.

"Digger? Who gave you that name?" Dean drew Digger's attention back to him.

"I did."

"You gave yourself your own nickname?" Dean glanced at Sam. "You can't do that."

"Who died and made you queen?" Digger shot back.

"Okay," Sam broke the tension. "Um, why don't you just tell us what you saw."

"I saw Clay Thompson climb in Benny Sutton's trailer through the window. Couple of minutes later, Clay comes out, and Benny's dead."

"And uh," Dean held up the photo of Clay he had pulled out of the papers, "you're sure this is the guy?"