Changing Channels

January 15th, 2010

Wellington, Ohio

Alex rolled out of the car. "Never doing that again."

Sam laughed. "That's what you say every time."

"This time I'm serious," the young woman protested. "If I have to get back into that car one more time, I'll die." They had driven straight from Trinidad all the way to Wellington, Ohio, with the only breaks being for eating and filling up on gas. Twenty one hours in the car, and Alex had hated every minute.

"It's not that bad." Dean got out as well, closing the door behind him. "Zep is awesome."

"Yeah, the first eight times," Alex shot back.

Dean rolled his eyes. "Get the stuff out of the trunk," he instructed her before tossing her the keys and ambling off towards their motel room. Alex complied, slinging both hers and Dean's duffle bags around her shoulder. Sam took his, and silently led her into the room. Alex dropped the bags on the floor.

"So, we gonna check this out?" Dean was asking Sam.

"Yeah. Just give me a few minutes." Sam waled back out the door. Alex watched him leave, confused. She shrugged it off and sat down on one of the beds, kicking off her shoes, looking around the room. The walls were covered in a faded green-and-yellow flowery wallpaper, and a small television sat in the corner. Dean went into the bathroom to change into his suit and tie, and afterwards sat down on the other bed and flicked it on. After flipping through several channels, he stopped.

As soon as she recognized the show, Alex rolled her eyes. "Please no," she begged. "How can you even think of watching this show?"

"What are you talking about?" Dean asked good-naturedly.

"It's like a chick-flick," Alex protested. "What happened to no chick-flicks?"

"Dr. Sexy MD is not a chick-flick," Dean said stubbornly. "If you don't want to watch it, go away."

Alex rolled her eyes once more. She picked up a book from her bag and started reading. After a few minutes she glanced at Dean out of the corner of her eye. He was leaning forward, entranced at the show before him.

The door opened, and both Dean and Alex looked up. Sam made his way over to them. "What are you watching?"

"Some hospital show," Dean responded, returning his gaze to the flickering screen. "Dr. Sexy MD. I think it based on a book."

Sam glanced at the tv. "When did you hit menopause?" he joked. Alex let out a quiet laugh.

"It's called channel surfing," the older brother defended himself. He stood up, turning off the tv. "You ready?"

Sam nodded, slipping on his suit jacket. "Are you?"

Alex tossed Dean the keys. "Can I come?"

"You want to come?" Dean asked her.

Alex paused, thinking. "Nah. I'm not getting back into the car." She watched them leave. "Adios."

Dean flashed her a smile before closing the door behind him. After a few seconds Alex heard the familiar sound of the Impala purr to life and drive away. Alex stood up and turned back on the tv. Dr. Sexy MD came back on. She wrinkled her nose and quickly changed the channel. She didn't like that show at all.

She turned on some good background noise before returning to her spot on the bed. She reached down and took out Dean's laptop, easily logging on. Dean never really bothered to change his password, and when he did, it wasn't long before she guessed it. One webpage popped up. It was the newspaper article from The Wellington Guardian. About a man who had had his head completely ripped off. That was why they were here. She scanned the article, then closed the laptop. Her stomach growled, reminding her she hadn't eaten since that morning. She picked up her tennis shoes, slipped them back on her feet, and began to tie the laces. A flutter of wings caught her attention. She looked up.