Good God, Y'all

November 18th, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland

"Bored!" Alex suddenly called, making Sam jump. It was the afternoon of the next day, and Alex was watching tv, and Sam was on his laptop. Dean had gone to keep Bobby company, leaving behind Sam and his car.

Sam turned to face Alex. "You're always bored."

"I know!" Alex rolled onto her back, head hanging over the bed. She looked up at Sam, who had returned to his work. "Sammy. Help me!"

Sam sighed. "Stop. You're being annoying."

"Ugh!" Alex rolled over, accidentally falling off the bed. She landed with a thump. Sam laughed. "Not funny," she grumbled. She stood up. "Hey. I remember seeing a mall a few blocks away. I'm going there." She dug through her bag, pulling out twenty dollars.

"No, you're not." Sam stopped her.

She turned to face him. "Why not? I'm bored, and I'm not staying here."

"Well, you're not going out. I got in enough trouble with Bobby for last night."

"You left me outside in the rain," Alex reminded him.

"You came back inside," Sam shot back.

"I'm going. Adios." She reached the door, shoving her bad hand in her jacket pocket. She heard Sam stand up, but didn't stop her. She started heading towards the road.

"Get in." She turned to see Sam getting into the Impala. When she looked confused, he explained. "You want to go to the mall, we're going to the mall. Get in."

Alex let out a broad smile, but did as he said. He drove them down to the mall, pulling the car into the parking lot. They entered through the Barnes & Noble. "So what do you want to get?"

"I don't need anything." Alex narrowed her eyes. "I just wanted to get out of the motel. Ooh. Look." She led Sam over to a bookshelf. "Zeus."

...

She and Sam walked through the mall. A lot of the stores were clothing stores, so they didn't go in very many. At one point, Sam's phone rang. He answered. "Dean?" Pause. "We're, uh, at the mall." Another pause. "Yeah, she's here too. No, she's fine."

Alex rolled her eyes and took the phone. "Dean," she said, exasperated. "I'm totally fine. Okay? Sam's with me. Couldn't feel safer."

"I know, but I don't trust him," Dean said slowly. "Not anymore."

"I know you don't. But I do trust him. With my life. Goodbye." She hung up before Dean could protest.

"You trust me?" Sam turned to her. "Even after all I did?"

"Sure. Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, first, I tried to kill you. Second, I freed the freakin devil."

"Okay, first off, yes, that was stupid of you. But I still trust you. Second, I knew Lucifer was going to be freed by killing Lilith. I could have told you, but I didn't. It's my fault as much as it is yours. Team effort. See, what I don't understand is why you still trust me."

Sam was silent, and Alex let out a breath. A good smell reached her nose, and her head snapped up. "Ooh. Yum." She grabbed Sam by the hand, dragging him over to a cinnamon roll stand. "Want one?"

"Are you going to make me buy it?" Sam joked.

"Yeah." Alex looked up at him. "Please?" She pulled her best puppy face.

"Fine." Sam rolled his eyes. "It's not worth the fight." He bought two cinnamon rolls, one for her, and one for himself. They found a table in the food court, and sat down. "You almost ready to go back?" he asked her.