chapter 7

I must have fallen asleep at some time but when I woke up my body felt weird. I had this weird urge to kill. I just wanted to see the life seep from someone's eyes. I craved it. I glanced around the room and then frowned itami was gone. Was that all a dream? It felt so real.

I stood up and stretched. I started to laugh and I couldn't stop. "Their dead! Ha ha ha! Their all dead!" I snickered quietly and whispered "they are all dead. I killed them all."

My laughter was stopped by the large door opening. I looked up at mama and smiled, "hey mama." Then I saw itami behind her in a little red dress holding onto a little stuffed bear. She smiled and waved at me silently.

Mama pushed her a bit behind her. "Juzo. Come with me." She walked away leaving the door open. I followed her and walked slowly behind her. We walked through a bunch of hallways but all the doors were closed so I couldn't see what was inside. Then mama stopped in front of a white door. She opened it then looked at me. Itami walked in just leaving me and mama in the hallway. I stared at her and she stared back at me. Then a smile crept across her face. "Juzo. This is my baby girls room and she begged me to let you come play with her so I decided to say yes just because I'm selling her tomorrow and I thought I would let you know how it feels to lose family once more."

She gestured to the room and I walked in. Itami was sitting on a big white bed and hugging her little stuffed bear tightly in her arms. Mama shut the door behind me and I heard the locked click. I looked around the room in amazement. The walls were all painted a light pink and there was a little doll house sitting in the corner. There were no windows but she had a large light on her ceiling. She had a bunch of toys all around and a closet full of clothes. I saw a bunch of paper lying on the ground and crayons. There were a bunch of drawings all over the place. They were actually really good but they were all of stuff she had in her room and of herself and of mama. She had a little desk with a mirror on it too. I looked at her smiling face. She had so much more than me. I thought she was like me but I was wrong. Mama treats her like....like.....like a daughter. Itami stood up and smiled wide. "I told mama that we should play in my room cause your room doesn't have any toys."

I smiled her then spun around "oooh. Look at all these pretty things you have..." I picked up a doll and stared at it curiously. Then I smiled and ripped off its head. "Now its much prettier."

Itami screamed and ran up to me taking the doll. "No juzo! You can't hurt Stephanie!! She's the mommy and if you take her away then the baby will die." She looked the head back on the doll and set it down on the tiny fake couch inside the tiny fake house.

I looked at her setting up all her dolls like they were real people and smiled. Her long white hair was very neat and strait and just fell down on her shoulders and she kept moving it from her face. Her bright red eyes were focused on the dolls. You could tell that she didn't get any sunlight because just like me she had pail white skin. She was obviously unhealthy but she looked much better then I did. She had such a fancy red dress on and some shiny black shoes like she was going somewhere and her closet was also full of fancy little dresses. Then I noticed that her breathing was very heavy and every couple of minutes she would put her hand on her side as if she was feeling pain. She looked like she was in a lot of pain.

I kept down next to her and started to play games with her. I have never had this much fun in my whole life. I especially liked playing dolls because you could make their lives perfect and got to pretend that it was yours. I also learned what actual paint is and I painted a bunch of pictures. She liked all my paintings alot because I painted things that she had never seen in her life. Like ghouls and the sun. I don't really remember what the sun looks like that much but I have a faint memory of it. We went on all day laughing and just being kids. I got to live the childhood that I had missed out on. That day was basically my whole childhood. We even played dress up. She pretended to be the ghoul from the picture I drew that happened to be taki. She jumped around growling and chasing me. Then we both ended up falling on the floor laughing.

Then she started to cough and breathing quicker. I frowned as she held her stomach. I could tell that she was In a lot of pain. Once she stopped she smiled at me but there were tears falling down her cheeks so the smile wasn't believable. "Sorry...... I am sick. Mama says that I'm fine but I know I'm not. That was the reason why I was put in the arena. I was supposed to get killed cause I'm too sick to be fixed. "

I looked down she's sick.......no.....she's dying. And she's going to die before seeing the world. She will die before she even gets to see the sun. Itami looked at me and smiled "ya know juzo. Mama told me a secret before I went into the arena and I wasn't supposed to tell you but I'll tell you anyways."

I smiled and sat criss cross applesauce in front of her. "A secret?!?"

She nodded "yep.......mama told me that your really my real brother. Not just because your mamas good boy but because we have the same real mommy. Mama told me that your mommy died when mama killed her but then she found me in a crib and decided to make me her baby girl. Ever since she's been hiding me from all her ghoul friends because she was embarrassed to be in love with a human child."

I looked at her with wide eyes. "So your my little sister.....that means.....that we're.... Family." I have a family. It's been here in this place with me the whole time. But now she's dying.

She nodded and handed me a paper. "I want you to have this. I know mama told you she's selling me but I know she's having me killed so that I don't have to be in pain anymore." She frowned "I know mama seems mean but I want you to remember juzo......there's good in everyone." She looked into my eyes "there's good in ghouls and humans and mama and....and even you juzo. Even if your a killer it doesn't mean that your a bad person. People shouldn't judge others until they have seen their side of the story." She smiled "and I'm sure mama has her own side."

I looked at her in shock. She actually loves mama. She actually loves....me. She sees good in such terrible people. How can she do that. Yeah mamas nice to her but she's the reason she's dying. She's dying because she's been locked in this room her whole life.

I looked down at the paper and unfolded it. It was a drawing of the two of us holding hands and a bloody weapon was in my other hand dripping blood onto the both of us but we both had smiles across our faces. My heart started to hurt again. It was this weird feeling that I had when I killed taki and her mom and now its back again. I don't like it. It hurts. I stared back at itami and wrapped my arms around her "thank you itami.......and I'm sorry."

I backed up and stared into her eyes. She smiled and it didn't even look like she was sad or like she was going to cry. She spoke in a calm and steady voice. "Juzo. I should be thanking you. If I would have never met you then I would have never had a name. I would have died as no one. Remembered by no one. But now you will remember me. I am itami. I am both pain and passion. Thank you juzo. Thank you so much. And please don't forget me when I'm gone okay?"

I nodded and played on the ground. I held the drawing tightly in my hand and closed my eyes. I was exhausted from the day. But this was absolutely the best day of my life.

~~~~~~~~~~

I opened my eyes and noticed that it was dark again. I was back in my own cold dark room. I sat up quickly "itami?!" She was gone. I clenched my hand but then I heard something crumble in my hand. It was the drawing. I unfolded it and straitened it out. I set it on the floor because I had no where else to put it. I sighed realizing that I'm back to the same old dark cold and boring life.

The wall to the arena opened and I looked out. I saw itami in a long white dress and it made her red eyes stick out since everything on her was white. Her skin her hair and her clothes. She stared at me with a smiled on her face. I was too far away to see but I saw her mouth the words goodbye..........

And then her all white was quickly turned to red as a giant ghoul arm sliced her throat. She fell on the ground in a puddle of her own blood. And the white dress absorbed the blood. Her beautiful white hair was now red and her eyes.......her eyes.......the life was drained out of them. And the vibrant red was now a muted pink.

And that was the last time I ever saw my loving sister itami and there was no record of her existence. And there was no proof that she had ever lived. She lives on in my dreams but her wish to be remembered will never come true.

Itami means..

Pain,
bruise, damage, distress, grief, sore,
And passion.....