Part One Chapter One: The Proposal

"It's your favorite color." She insisted, thrusting the large dress into the arms of Regina's head maiden. "You've got to wear it. It'll look lovely with your hair down and gently brushed out."

Cora stood now with her arms crossed, a cold hard stare across her face.

"But I don't see why Id have to wear something so fancy to dinner, mother." Her daughter's voice was meek and timid, unlike Cora herself. "I've met King Leopold before. Couldn't I just wear this?" Regina smoothed her hands over her light purple day dress.

"Don't argue with me, Regina." Cora snapped. "You shall cooperate and meet him downstairs for dinner no later than before sundown." The old woman barked. "Your sister and King Rumple will be visiting later this week. Clean up your behavior before then please."

With that, the Queen of their large kingdom left Regina's chambers.

"Did you know they were visiting?" Regina asked the woman standing beside her. Her nurse, Katherine, shook her head, leading Regina to her vanity.

"No your majesty. I was not aware of their arrival. But what a lovely surprise!" Katherine coaxed Regina to agree, sitting her down in the chair.

"I wonder if he'll bring that maiden with him? What's her name? Belle?" Regina snapped, busying herself with straightening out her brushes.

Her older sister Zelena had been married off to a rich King when their own kingdom was suffering. The two had never met before hand and had only made a friendship three years after their marriage. Rumple had a mistress, Belle, since Zelena insisted on keeping to herself.

Regina was not very fond of that lifestyle. The naïve part of her still held on to the hope of true love. The slim chance that she'd be lucky enough to find it sent shivers down the young girls spine.

"Don't be like that." Katherine scolded, brushing out the princesses hair. "You should be excited to see your sister. Now, I don't want to hear another crude word. You must sit here and think about your actions tonight while I prepare you. Understood?"

Katherine usually never lashed out at Regina unless she felt strong about the subject in which they were speaking. And being that Katherine had helped raise Regina, the young princess had respect for every word the older woman said.

***

Sunset. Regina had been escorted to the vacant ball room and was now waiting with her ever so persistent mother. The blue dress that the young woman was forced into wearing hung on her hips and shoulders, her hair curled like her mother had asked.

"How dare he be late." Cora muttered, pacing a small length in front of Regina. "He specifically told me before sunset and look!" Regina lifted her head as she was told, observing the vibrant colored sky, the last of the sun peeking out behind the trees. "Sunset."

Taking a deep breath, regina built up enough courage to speak. "Mother? Maybe he isn't coming?" She offers, hoping deep down that it was true.

King Leopold had been visiting for a week now. He had come from the second wealthiest kingdom in their realm and was in need of investment for a problem he had faced. In return, he had resources that both King Henry and his wife felt were a priority to have. Regina hadn't had much contact with the foreign King but the time she had spent with him made her feelings turn. The man was much older than her own age and had nothing in common with the young girl. This resulted in lack of speech and voids that couldn't be filled.

"Nonsense." Cora barked, leading her daughter towards one of the many balconies. "We planned this perfectly."

The pit of Regina's stomach dropped. Plans that involved her mother didn't always end well. The last plan she had been involved in resulted with the death of 12 loyal servants and even before that, the marriage of her eldest daughter, Zelena.

"Your majesty," a loud voice jolted the young princess from her thoughts. "I am so sorry to keep you and Princess Regina waiting." The old King advanced deeper into the room.

Cora turned, viciously staring the man down. "We agreed on a time." She muttered under her breath. King Leopold ignored the vile comment and turned towards regina. Her breath hitched at the look in his eyes. She had seen that look before and it didn't always end up happily ever after for the woman.

"Regina, will you marry me?" Five words. Five words that meant absolutely nothing but a trade. A transaction. And Regina was supposed to just say yes. But she couldn't. She wouldn't.

True love was something Regina had believed in since she was a young child. There was someone in the world who was meant to be with her. Maybe she'd meet him in a town or at a ball. Maybe he'd be in her father's guard. But she wouldn't ever settle for a 58 year old man who didn't even know her. She would not be a part of a business transaction.

Her mother, on the other hand, had another plan. Taking her daughter's hand, the queen nudged her forward.

"She'd be flattered."