Chapter Fourty-Eight: True Love

The words Regina had been repeating for almost a year now rung in her ears, but it was Robin's voice she heard. "I love you, Regina Annalise Mills. I love your smile, your heart, your bravery and even your stubbornness." His nose crinkled in a smile, his eyes bright in the dark night.

A laughter bubbled from Regina's belly into her mouth, projecting out before she could clamp her hand over her lips. Smiling wide, Regina felt the weight on her shoulders melt away if only for a moment. The uncertainty of their relationship slipped away, these words a beacon of light from within the dark. Robin watched her carefully, a toothy grin plastered on his face. "I am utterly and forever in love with you, Robin of-"

"Your Highness?" Graham called, his footsteps mashing into the dew covered grass. Running a hand over her forehead in frustration, Regina looked up to acknowledge her Commander in Chief. Oblivious to the romantic moment he had just ruined, Graham continued to speak. "With recent events taking place within the castle, I think we should have a military meeting in the morning. A plan to get us on our feet for the inevitable war at hand. A plan for your future."

Robin pulled Regina closer to his chest, his body tensing. "Inevitable War?" The trees rustled in the wind.

"Yes. With the death of... Sir Leopold... the Grasslands are very upset." Graham's words caused Regina to freeze.

This was all her fault. If she had kept her cool , none of this would have happened. Her family would be safe. Hell, her kingdom would be safe.

"Yes of course." Robin nodded. "As of right now, I'll escort Regina back to her chambers for a good nights rest before the day tomorrow." Graham bowed before returning to his men and the new hostages they would take as prisoners.

Robin looked down on the woman he loved, cupping her cheeks in an effort to draw her attention towards him. "I know what you're thinking." Robin whispered. "This is not your fault. Anyone in your position would have done what you did in order to save their family. You acted with bravery. I am forever grateful for you and for what you did for me. For us. Whatever happens next we will do together, alright? I will stand by you no matter what happens and so will Zelena and the rest of those you love."

Before Regan could finish, Robin took her into his arms, planting a light kiss on the corner of her lips. His warmth protected her from the night air that threatened to freeze her alive. Regina's arms wrapped around his neck almost greedily, her fingers toying with his hair.

"Thank you for saving my son." Robin's eyes darkened, his smile faltering at the new serious tone.

"I'd do anything for him." Regina replied as she gazed purposefully into Robins eyes.

A cool breeze rustled the trees above them, bringing Regina to take in her surroundings again. Graham had advanced back towards the dungeons with his new prisoners, the rest of the Royal guard still on watch. The candle from Regina's balcony burned from a distance, the soft glow reminding her of what was up there still. "We should probably get back to him, the poor child." Regina pulled away from the warmth and surety Robin offered.

"We should." He whispered, taking her hand in his. "I'll accompany you."

The grass tickled Regina's bare feet as she walked towards the castle door leading to the west stairwell. It would have been easier to transport herself magically, but knew where her limits were. It was hard enough to digest the fact that your loved one was a witch but it was even harder to get used to the constant use of magic that made them stand out from the others.