Chapter Fifty-Two: Growing Near

Regina squeezed her eyes shut, breathing through her nose as her trembling fingers held on tight to the bedpan. Her knees were hard against the floor as her body shook with heaves that left her exhausted. Regina barely missed the sound of the bed creaking; the footsteps that brought Robin down next to her.

"Regina..." he whispered, reaching out to place a hand on her back.

"Don't." She shook her head, slowly sitting up. "Let me come to you." Her voice was soft as she held out her hand for the cup of water that appeared in her palm. She raised the trembling glass to her mouth, taking a small sip before looking up at Robin. "I'm so sorry." Regina whispered. "I didn't mean to wake-"

"Don't apologize." Robin shook his head as he scooted forwards, moving the hair from her face. "Are you alright?"

"I think I'm just nervous." Regina blurted. It wasn't a lie. Regina was nervous, just about other things than the events of tonight. She looked down as she channeled her magic once more, watching as the bedpan disappeared from sight. "Don't worry."

"Of course I'm going to worry, my love." Robin shook his head, opening his arms to her. "Come here. Rest a bit more before you have to go."

His offer was appealing. Regina was exhausted and wanted nothing more that the comfort of Robin. She could almost feel his fingers stroking gently through her hair, his rhythmic heart beat soothing back to sleep.

But she couldn't. Regina had final fittings and preparations before the wedding she should have fined last night. Plus, she'd have to deal with the wrath of Katherine on top of her sudden illness this morning.

"I wish I could." Regina's voice was weak. "I need to finished what I left behind last night. I have final fittings and-"

Robin lifted a finger, raising one eyebrow. "Tell me what I can do." Regina shook her head as she closed her eyes. "No, Regina. I'm serious. Tell me what I can do to keep you in bed for a few more hours." Robin gently took Regina's hands in his own, kissing the tops of her knuckles. "You shouldn't have to do this alone. Especially when you aren't feeling well. Please. Let me help."

Regina let Robin guide her back to the bed. She eagerly crawled under the covers, letting Roland roll into her chest. Her fingers ran mindlessly through the boy's hair as she looked  up at his father. He stooped over them, kissing both of their foreheads before standing back. "Tell me what I can do."

"Find Zelena." Regina instructed, her eyes already fluttering shut. "She'll be waiting for me at my door. She can tell you what to do." Regina smiled as Robin squeezed her hand slightly before pulling away.

"Thank you." She muttered before slipping back into a deep slumber.

***

Regina watched in anticipation as Roland removed the cloth covering the object on the table. Before him sat a small, metal music box with painted trees and forest animals. It had been hers as a child and she wanted him to have it as a reminder to never forget where he came from.

"Do you know what it is?" Regina asked, leaning forward. Roland shook his head. "It's a magic music box. Open it."

Twinkling music started to play as Roland ran his fingers across the velvet covering the inside of the box. His eyes widen and he smiled. "I figured you could keep little trinkets in there. Like your drawings or-"

"Or rocks!" Roland squealed, thrusting himself into Regina's arms. She laughed as she fell back onto the bed, lifting Roland up with her. "Thank you Gina!"

"Of course, little bug." Roland sat up, sliding onto the floor again. "Roland." Regina called, watching as the little boy turned back to her. "Can I talk to you? Come sit." Roland slowly walked back to the bed and climbed up to sit next to the older woman. She took him in her arms, rubbing his back. "Tonight is a big night for us. Did you know that?"