Chapter Thirty-Seven: Commanding Troops

The following morning, Regina appeared at Graham's door, knocking obnoxiously. She was dressed in standard training uniform- a mud brown jumper with white tights and a sweater. "I need your men." Her voice was urgent as she studied his half naked body. Graham ran a hand over his bare chest, eyes squinting in the light that came from the window behind her. "Now." Allowing herself into his small room, she grabbed a light shirt and shoved it in his arms. "I don't have all day." And then she was gone.

Graham stumbled out into the hallway, racing after Regina. "I don't think I understand. They're... They're in training. They're mourning the death of-"

"Joseph Right, I'm aware." Looking at her now, there was something different about Regina. Dressed in the clothes of the ordinary, her hair pulled back and her face untouched by the makeup her mother used, Graham would've expected her to look like the young girl he'd watch grow up. But the woman beside him had lost an innocence and had replaced it with a sense of power. A passion. "I witnessed his death." Regina mumbled, thinking back to her first kill in her mother's receiving room.

"Why are you in need of them?" Graham pulled the shirt over his head as he finally managed to fall in foot with her. His eyes managed to look over her, to take in the grief and the fear that tore her body apart.

"We're going to overthrow the queen, of course." Regina's smile was wicked, making shivers run down Grahams spine.

"A revolt of sorts." He noted, licking his suddenly dry lips.

"A revolution." She corrected.

***

Large troops of men bustled past. Some of them wielded swords or bows with arrows in their other hands. Some of them seemed to be heading somewhere while others seemed to be marching in a loop around the fields. Regina watched in silence, letting the wind whip her hair, as she took everything in. These men would be the gateway to finding Robin. The glue that would hold her plan together.

At first, Regina's plan had been to go in solo, to take out both her mother and Leopold alone. But she had soon realized that thighs might go a bit smoother if she had the troops on her side. They could work on finding those her mother had locked away as prisoners or fight from the inside seams of the palace. All she had to do was get these men on her side.

Looking back at Graham, Regina rubbed her hands on her dress, suddenly feeling nervous. The young girl in the shadows of darkness Regina had gained warned her not to do this. That there was another way. But then she was gone, the warning covered by the buzz of darkness from within her. From the power she knew was there.

Regina moved quickly through the crowds until she got to the middle of the field. Men marched and hustled all around her, weaving around the small body. Regina searched frantically for something she could use to get higher.

And there it was.

Barrels of water sat untouched by rows of tables not too far from where Regina stood right now. Heart pounding against her chest, Regina climbed up onto the tables before stepping up to the top of the barrels. She looked around her in disappointment, seeing that nobody had payed attention to her.

"Halt!" She cried, watching around her as the men closest to her slowed, but still moved warily. Glances at her uniform made Regina sure that they didn't see her to have any authority. So with a wave of her hand, Regina felt the loose training rags disappear, replaced with a tight black dress. It's low cut style showed off plenty with beaded jewels that covered her every inch. Her black hair was pulled tight at the top of her head, left to cascade down her shoulders. "Those who do not stop disobey their rightful queen." She bellowed, getting the attention of all.

"Right now you are under the control of Cora Mills. The murderer of our beloved King, Henry Mills! She does not deserve your loyalty. We cannot trust her! She has lied and killed on multiple occasions, including the attempted murder of her own daughter." Taking in the uninterested men around her, Regain drew in an exasperated breath. "She stands for everything that is wrong! That is evil! Which misrepresents us as an army and as a team! You have been taught to bear arms against those who threaten your kingdom: be it family, friend, stranger or royalty. But this woman, my mother, is threatening the well being of not only this kingdom, but the kingdoms around us. And it is your duty to protect us! To protect yourself! So will you stand with me in the name of our king and our kingdom?"

Regina looked around and felt a nervous sweat start to break out as no one responded. Not even Graham. But then that blackness, that darkness Regina had accustomed to feeling swelled within her.

With a flick of her wrist, a puff of purple smoke Regina appeared once more among the men she spoke to. "Let me make this clear." She drawled, swinging around so that everyone could see her. She felt powerful. "If you choose to stand against me, you will not survive to tell your family about my mother. You will not survive to see another sunset over these very fields."

To some, the threat seemed enough to change their minds. But for others, Regina saw that they needed a bit more convincing. Turning to the closest man, Regina lunged forward and reached into his chest. The soldier fell forwards as a heart appeared in her hand. "Make this an example of what being against me looks like." Small, slender fingers closet around the red throbbing object in Regina's hand until it turned to dust.

"Graham!" Her voice carried clearly over the thousands of men circled around her. "Get these men suited up. We need to make a move as soon as possible."

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. It's been hectic lately and I've had no time to write. I hope you like this chapter! Please leave your feedback and ideas! I really enjoy them!