Chapter Fifty-One: Magic Baby

The wind was cool as it rustled through the long sheets of fabric that separated them from the world. Outside the small shack was the faint noise of a crackling fire; the villagers close by sitting around to keep warm.

Just on the other side of a pink sheet, Regina knelt, watching as Robin swayed gently with his back towards her. Shadows cast by the firelight danced as the flap to their little hut opened from the wind. Roland laid beside her on his bedroll, a small blanket covering most of his body.

Regina stood, confused as she looked down on herself. Dressed in attire for war, Regina wore black leather pants and a coat, her riding boots stamped with the emblem of the royal.

On the other side of the room, Robin stood in the same pants and jacket she had met him in. Their clothes separated them by status, something Regina had ever only experienced once.

"Robin?" Regina's voice echoed through the little hut as she made her way to the only other person in the room. "Robin."

"Shhhh." He cooed, turning slowly to reveal a baby in his arms. "You'll wake her."

Warmth grew in Regina's belly before spreading throughout her body as she peeked over her partner's shoulder at the child in his arms. "She's beautiful." Regina whispered, blushing as Robin turned his head to kiss her cheek.

Without saying a word, Robin slipped the baby from his grasp to Regina's, buttoning up his coat. "Take good care of them." He demanded, reaching for the flap.

Regina frowned, hurrying out into the cold night. "Where are you going?"

"I'll be back soon." Robin smiled, a bow and quiver neatly hanging from his shoulder. "I've got to do this."

"Stop." Regina pleaded, not able to move any closer. The baby started to screech, thrashing in her arms. Panic rose, worrying Regina as she squinted to make out the fading figure of her love. "Come back!"

Regina jolted awake, gasping for breath as her eyes flew open. She sat up as she reached out into the dark night, her fingers brushing over Robin's warm body. He mumbled something incoherent, turning to face her.

"Go back to sleep." She whispered, her fingers shaking as she lowered herself back into her pillow.

"What's bothered you, my love?" Robin draped his arm over his lover's body and pulled her close, kissing just below her ear. "I'm awake now I promise."

"It was just a bad dream." Regina shook her head and pressed herself against Robin's warm chest. "Don't you worry about a thing."

"Talk to me, yeah?" Robin grunted, shifting slightly. "What can I do to make you feel better?"

"Just hold me and never let go." She whispered before allowing herself to relax into the idea of sleep once more.

***

Each day brought the couple closer to marriage. The end of the four weeks lead up to the largest celebration the kingdom had ever had. Regina's marriage was the biggest event since her birth and was supposed to bring hope to the villagers as war neared. As much as she wanted to be excited, she feared the wedding more than she looked forward to it. She and Robin were in love now, but she knew the pressure of royalty would crack the affection they had for one another.

So, each night they snuck around for the next three weeks to follow. Sometimes they'd sit by a burning fire, wrapped in blankets in Regina's chambers, sharing a late picnic. Sometimes she would meet him for a night of passion, watching in the morning as he disappeared in a puff of purple smoke to hide the idea of their meetings. Sometimes he would find her in the library or in the garden and they'd sit together, talking into the early hours of the morning. To Regina, it didn't really matter what they did, just as long as they were together.