Chapter Six: Young Child

The girl didn't do much. Granny woke up every morning to find her with her back turned, the few blankets she could find pulled over her head. Sometimes a foot would stick out on the end of her cot. One slender, pale foot. Granny had never seen a village girl like Regina. All the women Granny had seen in her life were tough. Not just in attitude but in features as well. Regina was dainty. Almost too naive, even for a child like her.

Granny remembered that first day she entered the tavern. Poor thing stood afraid and badly damaged. She had been burnt, bruised, busted and bloody. Red hand prints marked her jeweled dress, which she had called a nightgown. Which was the first reason why Granny suspected the difference between people like Regina and people like herself.

For one thing, Granny had never heard of someone wearing such a nice dress to sleep in.

But appearance completely gave her away.

Regina was pale. Of course, at the moment she was as pink as a pig, but Granny could tell that Regina was fair skinned. Her complexion was flawless. No bumps or bruises. No imperfections at all. Raven hair sprouted from her scalp and cascaded down to about Regina's waist. The first day when Regina arrived, it looked combed. Neat. Waves gave the black waterfall texture, but it wasn't ratty. Not like a villager's hair. After a few days in bed, of course, Regina had the hair of Granny's own daughter, though. Regina was also delicate. She carried herself in a manner of caution, as if anything she did would be wrong.

She had to be Royal Blood.

Granny knew it was a long shot but it wasn't all untrue. Regina could be the princess. The one who had had an engagement ball the night Robin had left to make his rounds. It was unlikely, but there was definitely a slim chance.

***

The bed was like marble. Regina's back ached and her neck was sore, but she couldn't motivate herself to get up. Endless worries ran through Regina's mind.

Would she ever get home? Did they know she was missing? What was Leo doing? Was she safe here? Would that woman soon kick her out? Or worse- figure out who Regina actually was?

The lady would check on her at least twice a day. Once before she would start working at the... Tavern as she had called it... And once before she fell asleep herself. Regina wouldn't speak but neither would the woman. Regina longed for Katherine's comfort, but she knew that wasn't a possibility. Sometimes, Regina even woke to plates of food by her foot. But when she left it untouched, they would always disappear by the time Regina woke up.

But one day, one day the food hadn't been silently left at her toes like usual. There was pressure on Regina's side and then a tap on her hip. When Regina didn't respond, the pudgy little finger jabbed her ribs. Regina jumped and turned in her bed to come face to face with a young boy.

Curly brown hair framed his youthful face. Round chocolate eyes stared curiously at her own face as one pudgy finger poked Regina's cheek. The young boy, younger than Regina had ever seen, smiled meekly as if she was something he wasn't supposed to disturb. The boy was so small, the size of his body fascinating Regina. Was she too once that small.

"How come you're always so sleepy?" The boy made regina smile a bit. Regina didn't have much experience with children but for some reason, she wanted to please him. Make him smile. She decided that this feeling, so strange and overwhelming, was what Katherine felt with Regina.

"I'm not sleepy." Regina whispered, keeping eye contact with the boy.

He frowned and crossed his arms. "Yes you are." He replied, only his eyes and forehead poked above the cot regina slept on. The boy was tiny.

"No." Regina retorted, wanting to win the argument. "I'm not sleepy. I'm... I'm..." It came into realization that Regina didn't exactly know what she felt. She missed the security of her palace walls but resented the way she was treated there. She missed Katherine and her sister but dreaded the moment she would again run into Leo or her parents.

"I'm a long way from my home." Regina finally answered, sheltering the young boy from the brutality of her reality. "This place... The way people act... It's so very different to me."

Never in a thousand years did regina ever think she'd confide her feelings into a strange young boy. But here she was. The boy was so curious and Regina almost felt guilty if she did not answer him.

"Oh." The boy said, turning and racing around the small wall that separated Regina from the rest of the living quarters. She sat up, her head spinning.

Before she could process any new thoughts, the boy came prancing back in to Regina's little room. In one arm, a limp stuffed monkey swung with every little footstep.

"Here." The boy said, thrusting the monkey into Regina's hand. "You can have this for now. My papa gave it to me before he left. Now you can have it."

Regina took the small toy delicately in her hands, smiling at the kind gesture this young boy had just created. "Well thank you very much." Regina whispered, setting the monkey down by her pillow. "That was very thoughtful of you."

Footsteps climbing the stairs made both Regina and the young boy freeze. Granny appeared, a look of shock on her face. "Roland! There you are, silly boy. What did I say about leaving the counter?" She asked sternly.

Roland sighed and looked down at his little shoes. "Don't do it." He mumbled.

"Mmhm." Granny said, reaching out one hand for him to take. "And why do I say that?" She asked in a tone Katherine used quite often. Usually when she was upset but didn't want to show Regina. Exasperation maybe, Regina didn't quite know.

"Because it's not safe." Roland muttered, taking the woman's hand and leaning into her side.

Granny looked up and smiled softly at Regina. "Good. You're up. The well isn't far from here if you want to bathe but I need you downstairs soon so you can start working." Granny said, turning to leave with Roland.

"Working?" Regina asked in surprise. She's never lifted a finger in her life.

Granny chuckled. "Of course dear. You can't stay here for free."

Hey guys! So guess what? ROBIN AND REGINA ARE GONNA MEET NEXT CHAPTER! Finally, both people are in the same place at the same time! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Your feedback is really inspiring and quite helpful! Thanks so much!