Chapter Fifty-Six: Miss You

Dear Robin,
Tonight is the first night since you've left. I'm sitting at my vanity writing to you in the candle light. I couldn't sleep and I figured I'd write to you to substitute speaking to you.
The moon is beautiful tonight. It's one of the biggest moons I've ever seen. I hope you're by a warm fire under a warm quilt. Roland and I are very cold in our bedchamber. I let Roland sleep with me tonight and I probably will until you return. From where I'm sitting now I can watch him sleep. I can only see his little head sticking out from under the blankets.
I'm wearing one of your night shirts tonight. It reminds me of you and I'm hoping it'll help me sleep tonight after I finish this letter to you.
I've been thinking about names today. Not specifically about names like Xavier or Fiona, but about names in general. Our child- I still can't believe it's our child- should have a meaningful name.
I think I might begin to teach Roland to read and write soon. Maybe he'll be able to write you something in a letter I send later on.
It's late and I'm hoping sleep will come soon. I'm sorry this letter was not as put together as I normally am. I promise the next one will have more structure but I figured you might like to hear about what was going on. I hope you sleep well tonight and every night.
I love you with all my heart,
Regina

Regina set her quill down as she reached for the lantern that bunt bright on the corner of her desk. Roland turned in his sleep as he thrust one leg out from under the blankets. Regina smiled, blowing the candle out and waiting until her eyes adjusted to the dark before standing from her seat. Although her mind raced with worries about Robin, Regina knew that she needed rest. She could continue worrying in the morning. But for now, Regina slipped into bed beside Roland, smiling when the little boy nuzzled up against Regina's side to sleep. Allowing herself to run her hands through his hair, Regina wrapped an arm around Roland as she closed her eyes.

Regina awoke the next morning, stretching under the heavy weight of the blankets before realizing Roland was no longer with her. Sitting up straight with panic written on her face, Regina looked around the room until her eyes landed on the small boy standing in the doorway of the balcony.

"Roland?" Regina's voice was soft as she turned on her side. Roland looked up to the bed momentarily before shifting his gaze back outside. "Roland, my love, what are you doing?"

"Waiting for a letter from papa." He stated before taking a deep breath.

Regina smiled and stood from the bed, walking to meet him in the doorway. "I have a letter to send to him. Would you like to help send it?" Regina smoothed the little boy's curly hair as he looked up with excitement on his face. Regina laughed, making her way back to her vanity before rolling up the letter into a tube. "I'll call a carrier pigeon and we can send it off together."

Dear Regina,
We have stopped in a nearby port town and have slept in an inn for the last couple of days. It's reminded me greatly of the time we first met.
Oh how I miss you and Roland.
I hope all is well at the castle. I'm sure Roland is enjoying his time with you. Give him my best regards. I've picked out a few tokens to bring back home to the both of you. I hope you like them.
Speaking of names, I love the name Amelia for a girl. It was my mother's name. It's got a royal tone to it, I believe. I think that if it's a boy we should name him Henry, after your father. You speak so highly of him.
I miss you laying by my side at night and I've dreamt about you each night since I left. I promise to be home soon.
Love,
Robin

Robin took a deep breath as he prepared himself for the day's journey ahead. Robin had no idea what to expect once he arrived but knew that, whatever it was, it was going to be horrible. The pain and suffering during the war wouldn't stop until all enemies were defeated but Robin was determined to end it.