Chapter Twenty-One: The Arrow

"What?" Regina's voice squeaked, the pit of her stomach dropping. "I... I.. I didn't..." She sputtered, looking to Robin.

"Stand down or we attack." One of the men ordered, hand on his sword. "You have committed treason and unfaithfulness to the King."

Regina could hear her heart beating as her palms became sweaty. Fear coursed through her veins as they all stood still.

Robin shook his head, glancing between her and the guards. His brow was furrowed as he moved closer to Regina. "You have no right to her." Robin stated, standing his ground.

"Papa?" Everything halted as the flap to the tent opened and Roland stepped out. His curly hair was tousled and matted, his thumb shoved into his mouth. Roland froze when he saw the guards, his eyes growing wide.

Robin was thrown off guard by seeing his son, his only concern now was to save his son. "Roland go back inside." His voice was low and calming but it didn't affect the young boy.

"Papa I had a bad dream." Roland looked up to Regina and sniffled. "Gina come put me to bed again?"

"Address the Queen with Her Majesty." A guard came up from behind, reaching for Roland. Robin turned on his heels and let an arrow fly, knocking the man off his feet. Roland screamed in terror and lunged forwards.

From there, all chaos broke loose.

Regina bent down and scooped the frightened boy up in her arms. She watched in fear as Robin's men came from the two tents with their weapons already. Regina scrambled for her own bow once the arrows began to fly.

Making eye contact with Robin, she watched as he dodged an arrow and shouted to her. "Run!"

But she couldn't. Regina knew that she couldn't leave these men here to fight her battles. It wasn't right. Regina didn't want to go back, didn't want these men to be harmed by those who had once been in her life.

"Stay close to me." Regina whispered to Roland as she set him down, pulling her bow back and letting an arrow fly into the mix. By now, guards were fighting merry men, trying to get to Regina. She shot arrows and ducked, trying to protect Roland who whimpered at her feet.

Regina's heart pounded in her chest as sweat started to pool on her back and neck. Fear coursed through her veins, causing her to work harder to stay safe. She's do anything if it meant she wouldn't have to go back to her palace.

Looking up, her eyes locked with Robin's and time seemed to slow down. He watched as Regina stood strong, holding her bow close to her chest. Her chest rose quickly as her stance protected Roland from most of the warfare going on.

But then things sped by again. Regina ducked, covering Roland with her own body as arrows flew past her. A small sting scraped at her side but she kept going. Regina scooped the boy into her arms and ducked behind a tree, safely depositing Roland onto the soil.

Looking down at the little boy below her, she noticed the fear that stiffened him. "It will be okay baby." She whispered, glancing up to shoot another arrow. "Don't be frightened." Standing up straight, Regina blinked twice as the world around her spun. Her head felt strangely light while her feet felt oddly heavy.

"Gina?" Roland sounded like he was speaking under water, the words bubbling and mixing into one. Her hand fell to her side where she felt an arrow protruding from her ribs. Warm blood seeped through her blouse and stuck to her hand, making her sway even more.

"Regina!" Robin's cry sounded faint as two strangely large hands swept her out from under her feet. Roland's scream was only a whisper as another body moved in closer. Regina's vision blurred as she struggled to free herself.

A body, Robin's body, was close. But Regina couldn't stand. The hands digging into her waist, into her wound, let go and she fell, her cheek hitting the ground with a thud.

Feet around her stomped and swirled until finally the world went black.