Chapter Fifty-Three: Too Good

Regina stood facing the mirror. Her white nightgown swallowed her small figure in the shadows. Her arms dangled limply by her sides, her eyes staring blankly at her reflection.

Should she tell him? It was his right to know but she would be cruelly punished if anyone found out too soon. Would he even want a child?

Regina took a jagged breath, clenching her fists by her side. Robin appeared in the doorway, leaning against the door frame. Regina watched in the reflection of the mirror as he smiled softly before walking towards her. His footsteps were heavy with exhaustion as he pulled the fur cloak from his shoulders. "You never cease to amaze me." Regina smiled bashfully, breaking their gaze. Regina watched as Robin sat on their bed, pulling his boots from his feet.

"Why do you say that?" She asked as she ran her fingers smoothly over the beaded bodice of her nightgown.

Robin stopped and looked up to gaze at Regina, leaning back on his hands. "That music box Roland has on his night stand. It's yours isn't it?" Regina nodded, moving her fingers to her damp hair.

"Yes. I thought he needed it more than I. I hoped it would remind him of the forest and figured it'd be calming on the nights where this place feels empty and cold." Regina smiled softly as Robin closed the space between them, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her back to his chest. Robin kissed the side of her neck as they swayed together.

"Have I told you how much I love you?" Robin whispered, resting his chin on Regina's shoulder.

"You have. But I don't mind hearing it." Regina's arms crossed over Robin's as Regina looked at their reflection. Her smile faltered at the thought of telling him about the baby. While she was excited to have a child of her own, would he share her reaction?

Sensing her change in demeanor, Robin turned Regina to face him, kissing her gently before taking her hands. "What is on your mind?" Robin asked, cupping her face when Regina evaded his eyes. "Regina."

Regina silently lead Robin to the bed, instructing him to sit. Worry etched over his face as Regina stood between his legs, their hands still clasped together. "Robin..." Regina started, taking a deep breath before restarting. "Robin, everything you've given me has been more than I could've ever dreamed. My love for our family grows every day. But... what if our family grew?" Regina looked down at Robin, her eyes searching his for recognition. "Robin, I'm pregnant."

Her voice was so soft that at first she thought he didn't hear her. Robin sat still for a moment before smiling wide. "You're pregnant?" Robin whispered, his smile only growing as she nodded. His grip on her hands tightened as he pulled her up into an embrace, standing to spin Regina around in a circle. "You're pregnant!" He exclaimed, laughing. Regina relaxed, holding tight to her husband as tears of joy welled in her eyes. "Oh, Regina." He set her down, holding her waist firmly. "You're sure?" He asked, looking into Regina's eyes.

"Yes."

"With my child? Our child?"

Regina laughed, nodding as she wiped her cheeks. "Who else would it be?" Robin cried out before pulling her in for a moment of passion. His fingers ran through her hair, his hand firm against her back. Regina could feel him crying, his tears dampening her cheeks.

"I'm... I..." Robin stuttered, pulling back. "I... we..." He knelt down, his hands hovering over her abdomen. "You're carrying our child." He stared in fascination at the white cloth covering Regina's skin, a smile plastered on his face. "I'm going to love you and protect you with everything I have." Robin gently pressed a kiss right above her navel. Regina's hands combed through his hair as she smiled down at her husband. Her lover. Hers. "How long have you known?"