Chapter Thirty: Fitting Right

Regina stared at the space where Rumple once stood in frustration. "Rumplestilskin!" She shouted, turning around in a circle. "I'm not done yet!" Biting her lip, Regina hugged the book tight to her chest before taking a step forwards. Her heart yearned to see Robin again. To check up on him and make sure he wasn't in a worse condition. But her mind knew that she couldn't. That if she went back down to the vault, she'd be putting the both of them in danger. So with a heavy heart, Regina decided to make her way back to the castle with intentions of coming back late tonight.

The large blue barn that was home to her favorite steed appeared on the left, making Regina smile. She could easily hide away in the hay loft and study the book Rumple had given her. It would allow for a comfortable space with the privacy she much needed.

Slipping in through the back doors of the kitchen, Regina grasped the riding satchel that hung in a lonely hook. The leather bound book nearly fit inside, leaving little room for anything else. Regina slung the bag across her shoulder before advancing into the kitchen.

The smell of apple tarts filled the air as Regina approached the door that lead to the servant quarters. Every once in a while a pot would clatter or a utensil would clash with a pan, filling the room with sharp noises. The young princess escaped into a hallway, gently shutting the door behind her.

It was too early for most of the servants to be up and moving, meaning Regina had at least enough time to get back to her chambers. Her feet padded against the wooden floors until she reached Katherine's old room. The only room with a direct entrance to Regina's own chambers.

Her hand hovered over the knob, nervous on what she'd find. Katherine hadn't been around since Regina had run away earlier in the year. Fear gripped her stomach as Regina entered the room.

Bare walls stood on all four sides. Ripped pillows and their insides dirtied the floor along with tattered clothes. Bottles and the only mirror in the room were shattered. Regina stood in awe, her heart sinking.

What had they done to her?

The same anger that had filled her only minutes before started to bubbled, the power she had once felt returning to her fingers. Regina itched to grab her book, to read about something to fix this. To bring back her nurse. Tears burnt the rims of her eyes as the brutality of what happened settled in.

Murmurs from outside the tiny room kicked Regina into action. If she was found in this room, the consequences she would face were unimaginable. The young princess reached for Katherine's old armoire before pushing the hollow wooden piece to the side. A small door stood open, leading into a dark tunnel. Regina slipped in just as the main door opened again, footsteps rising.

"Empty." A stern male voice mumbled as multiple feet shuffled into the room. Regina pressed her back against the door, listening carefully.

"Maybe it wasn't her, sir." Graham's voice, unusually meek and timid, bubbled up through the chaos. "She does have a new nurse. She could've been curious. Don't they look similar?"

Footsteps inched closer to the door before stopping. "No." The other voice barked. "No it was definitely her." Regina's heart sped up as she slowly inched down the dark hallway. It was only until she couldn't hear them anymore that Regina began to run.

They were looking for her. Leo knew something. Or her mother.

Regina raced down the small corridor until she reached another small door. The young princess sat by the knob for a moment, listening to see if anyone was in her room.

But it was silent.

The door that was made to blend in with Regina's wall, slowly creaked open as she stepped out, panting heavily from the rush. Regina knew she didn't have much time before someone came to check in on her but before she could do anything the door to her chambers flew open.