Chapter Thirty-Six: Rise Up

Regina stormed down the hallways of her palace until she reached her mother's receiving room. Mumbled voices snuck out through the big black doors that separated the power from the powerful. Anger, even more so than Regina's new usual, flooded her system. The only thing on her mind was revenge, be it for her father, for her lover and for her own life.

Many the time had Regina escaped to this very hall as a small girl. The ornate stone walls used to spark imagination as she peeked out from behind the door, usually accompanied by an apple turnover. Sticky, seven-year-old fingers pried their way into the only part of Cora's life that seemed possible. Regina's mother had never been around, and in the short period where Regina looked up to her, Regina had snuck away to watch her mother in action. Receiving guests and reports from several different staff.

And now, almost 15 years later, slender fingers lifted from their place at Regina's side. The pride that had once filled Regina was gone, filled now with pure anger. With a force stronger than anticipated, Regina watched as the doors pushed open without a touch of her finger.

Conversation hung in the air as surprise took over. Guards dressed in white stood along the length of the room as a few scattered people floated across the open floor. Cora, attention now on the entryway, was sitting high atop her throne. Dressed in black.

Instead of playing innocent, Cora watched as her personal guard made their way towards Regina as she briskly walked into the room. "Leave her be." Cora instructed.

A gloved hand reached out to restrain Regina, but to his surprise, she pushed her hands out and used magic to blow everyone dressed in white back. The lords and ladies in the room screeched and cowered as Regina blazed a path to walk on.

"Very impressive." Cora commended as she stood from her seat. "I didn't think you'd improve in such a short amount of time."

"You killed him." Regina bellowed. "You killed him and you aren't a bit sorry."

"Oh don't come in here and threaten me, Regina. You aren't strong enough and you certainly don't have the power to hurt me." Cora glided over the marble floors until she reached her daughter. "I'll tell you a little secret." Leaning in, Cora took a deep breath. "Your sister came in here and did the same thing. She informed me that if I didn't let you go, she'd do something." Tossing her hair, Cora slowly circled her youngest child. "And I locked her up. You see Regina, I don't tolerate that sort of behavior."

Movement from the side sparked Regina's attention as she watched a guard inch his way back to the two women. Cora's eyes flicked in the same direction, halting for a moment before continuing her speech. But Regina slightly shifted her stance and prepared to defend herself.

Regina's hand shot out as the guard came closer, using magic to lift him off his feet. The man scratched at his throat, struggling to breathe, while Regina turned her attention to him. "Do you think this is a joke?" Her voice was shrill as it bounced off the high ceilings.

"Oh, come on." Cora drawled. "You couldn't hurt him. Put him down, Regina. Come to your senses."

The veins in Regina's hand popped as her fingers twisted slowly. Her eyes stayed focused on the man, taking in the tiniest details of his suffering. An odd joy settled over her. Watching this man meant that she was most likely one step closer to her goal. One step closer to her revenge. But in order to take that leap, Regina had to close the deal.

Making a fist, Regina watched as the mans eyes bugged before his corpse dropped to the floor. A new kind of silence blanketed the receiving room. "Don't underestimate me, mother." Regina projected, lowering her hand to her side before studying the mans body before her.

A little voice inside her head shrieked with regret in sorrow. Was this what Robin would've done? What he would've wanted?

No, Regina frowned. None of this was what either of them wanted.

Shoving the idea of shock and horror of this man's death deep within her, Regina whipped to face her mother. "I will run you out of this kingdom, this realm, this universe. You see mother, with our Kings death came a new birth." Drawing her hand up with a wicked grin, Regina sighed. "Long live... The evil queen."

And in a puff of smoke, she was gone.

***

Roland could fit through the bars that connected Zelena's cell to Will's. He ran happily between the two of them before getting the idea to slip through the front of the cell only to get his arm jammed in one of the slots.

"I think that's enough for today." Zelena muttered, scooping the whimpering child into her arms. "What?" She snapped as Will watched her from the other side of her wall.

"How can you just sit here like this without... Without trying to escape?" His words ring out over her head as they bounced off the tall walls that surrounded them.

Zelena whipped around, her dirtied skirts rustling as they swung slightly at her side. "We wouldn't be able to escape, Will. My mother isn't stupid enough to leave us here with the key dangling just around the corner." She sighed, her smile fading as a frown set in. From a distance, Zelena looked older. Her once plump lips were thinly pressed and slightly down turned, her eyes no longer bright and cheerful.

But there still was beauty.

Will could easily see the resemblance between Zelena and Regina. Although they didn't look similar, they had the same strange beauty that was breathtaking once noticed. It was the long stares and the moment caught off guard that made them stand out. The tough upbringing and the gentleness they shared. The uncanny features.

"Regina will come for us when the time is right. When it's safe."

"Then what?" Will asked, taking a seat on the bed of straw beneath him.

Zelena's thin shoulders shrugged as she cradled Roland. "That's up to my sister."

Hey guys! Sorry my chapters have not been released these past few Friday's. I have been out of town and completely busy! I hope you don't mind... And I'm going to warn you that this Friday may not have a chapter as well. I'm so so sorry and I promise to get back on schedule asap! I also apologize for such the short chapter!