Chapter Two: Young Bride

The rain pounding against the library window was welcomed by a single woman. Regina. She found it suiting, the weather, for her situation.

After the surprise engagement last night, Regina had sat in silence as her mother and new fiancé discussed topics unknown to her at dinner. As soon as the plates had been whisked away from the table, Regina had excused herself from the presence of others and retreated to her secluded chambers. She hadn't allowed Katherine to stay any longer than it took to ask what had happened.

So now, early in the morning, Regina sat by the window with a book. Of course, there was no light to read it by. But holding the small object somehow helped soothe her frantic nerves.

The large wooden door creaked open, causing Regina to internally jump at the new noise. "Go away." She demanded, summing up her most convincing growl to whomever was interrupting her thoughts.

"Your majesty..." My secretary, Jefferson, said, his voice echoing in the large room. "We must discuss something very important."

"I don't care, Jefferson." She retorts, curling up in her chair and setting the book aside. Regina knew she wouldn't win but wanted to give a fight before she went down.

"Regina this isn't a matter of choice." Graham, part of her personal guard, didn't miss a beat as he lit a candle, taking steps forward. Jefferson and Katherine followed behind him until he reached my chair. "Your majesty..." Graham's voice was softer as he took the young princess by the arm and helped her stand.

"Please don't do that." Regina whispered, wiping her eyes even though tears hadn't been wept since she had entered this room. "Don't treat me as if I might break. I'm already broken. There's no need to be gentle."

Katherine sighed, reaching out to comfort the young bride. Regina pushed away. "No! That's what I'm talking about. Don't comfort me like I'm a child."

Graham groaned and slammed his hand down on the desk that sat beside a book shelf. "Your majesty please!" He barked. "You are a child!"

Frustration growing, regina held in a scream, turning around so her back faces the three visitors. "My dear." Katherine whispered, reaching out to the young girl. "Please? It's quite important."

Silence uneasily sat through with the group of four as Regina mustered up enough self confidence to turn around. "What is it? What do you want?"

With the permission to continue the conversation, Jefferson allowed himself to be the first to speak. "Your majesty, we have learned about the... Events that took place last night." He began, smiling weakly. "And after consulting with Graham, we've come to a plan."

The young girl stepped closer, frowning a bit. "A plan?" She asks, making the smile on Jefferson's face grow.

"To get you out." Jefferson concluded, sparking a great amount of interest in Regina.

"You see," Graham began, "King Leopold isn't exactly 'unknown' to most people around the castle. Sure he had the title of royalty, but his kingdom is roughly the size of the castle grounds here, your majesty. The only reason registering in our minds for him to marry you is to inherit everything that's yours. There wouldn't necessarily be a benefit for your parents like there was with Zelena except that they will retire. You will become the new Queen. But because you are the blood heir of the throne, everything will be yours... Unless something happens to you."

Regina frowns, taking her nurses hand. "Don't worry sweetie." She murmurs. "They aren't finished yet."

"Since you have never been presented to the public, nobody knows what you look like. This will make it easier for a greedy man to get rid of some... Unwanted baggage." Graham pauses, collecting his thoughts.

"What're you trying to say?" Regina piped up. "He's going to try to kill me?"

"No!" Jefferson explains. "Nothing of the sort. That would be too messy. He's just going to um... Um.."

"Ship you off." Graham breaks in. "So the game plan is to get you away before he does. Don't look so panicked, Regina I'm not finished." Regina nodded, trying to keep up with all the information she was hearing. "We were planning on getting you out of here after the ball that will take place in a few days. Your engagement ball and the first time you will be publicly seen in our kingdom. Lots of things will be going on and it'll be easier for us to get you out. That way we can isolate Leopold and come to an agreement about his motives. You'll stay in the dark until he's gone."

And with that, the plans for a fantastic escape started to unfold.