Chapter Ten: Fight or Flight

She finally fell asleep. Robin thought she never would. His heart ached for her, to hold her and comfort her. To wipe away her tears. But she hadn't summoned him. Hadn't asked him to come close. But Robin wouldn't leave her side when she was crying, suffering from hauntings.

Hours later though, her breathing steadied and her tears halted. Robin waited, not wanting to leave quite yet. And soon he fell asleep too, thankfully waking earlier than she in the morning. His back was stiff like a board but he was glad to see Regina in a peaceful state.

As much as Robin would've loved staying, there was thing that had to be done. Food needed to be collected and served, tents needed to be packed and a certain little boy needed to be checked on. So, Robin stood and silently stepped out into the campsite. There, he saw Much and Will standing by the fire, holding a bundle of plants and bird eggs. A small loaf of bread that Granny had packed sat on one of the plates near by. Little John and Friar Tuck sat on a log, watching as Roland played with some of his toys, already dressed and clean. The rest of his men were packing slowly and mulling around.

Robin smiled, thankful for his very large family, and caught eyes with Will. He had been there last night, waiting for someone to check in Regina after her night terrors. "How is she?" He asked, pausing from cracking eggs into the pan. Robin ran a hand over his jaw, surprised to find a good bit of scruff- he'd have to shave that later- and sighed.

"She was awfully afraid last night but she calmed herself down enough to fall back asleep. I don't want to move until she's awake and ready." Will's jaw fell slack just a bit as Much looked up, watching their conversation.

"Not move? We always move before the sun hits the branches." Will argues. "Even when Ma-"

"Don't." Robin ordered, his voice low and stern. "Don't do that." No one had mentioned Marian since what had happened. And Robin would like to keep it that way. "She is a lady, here out of purposes other than our own. It is my job- our job- to protect her and keep her safe. As it is with Roland. Understand?"

The two men nodded, quickly moving back to making breakfast. Roland had noticed his father but waited politely until he was finished speaking. "Papa?" He asked, catching Robin's attention. "Papa!" The little boy rushed into his fathers arms and smiled as Robin enclosed the boy in a tight hug.

"Were you afraid last night?" Robin asked, getting a slight shake from his sons head. "It's okay if you were. Regina and I were scared too." Robin kissed his sons head and smiled. "Would you like to play while we wait for breakfast?"

***

It wasn't quiet. Faint voices and laughs woke Regina, allowing her to feel safe. The thin walls of the tent made her frown, momentarily forgetting where she was. Scampering to her feet, she threw the tent flap open, standing before a group of men in her corset and skirts. Her eyes locked with Robin's as heat flushed to her cheeks.

"Regina." He spoke, setting down a plate and moving towards her. All eyes were on her, or parts of her. She felt exposed, backing up into the tent. "How're you feeling?"

"Fine, thank you." Regina snapped, biting her lower lip. "I'm sorry I made such a scene last night. It.. It won't happen again." Robin frowned, tilting his head.

"It's alright..." He whispered, his eyes scanning over her. "Is that- I do hope you don't mind me asking- is that what you slept in?" He asked, making Regina's eyes widen in shock. She become very self conscious of what she had on, looking down at her undergarments. "Just, it doesn't look very comfortable."

"I can manage." She mumbled, wrapping her arms around herself. Robin retraced his steps in conversation, trying to pull the shy creature in front of him out of her shell.