Chapter Eight: Follow Along

"But... I gave it to you." Roland yawned, holding the stuffed monkey under his right arm. "Don't you want it?"

Regina smiled weakly, squatting down in front of the young boy. "Of course I do." She whispered, tapping the young boy's nose before letting her finger trail down his cheek. "Of course. But I remember you telling me that your daddy gave it to you. To remember him by." Regina kept her voice low, trying to soothe the sleepy boy. "Now he's back and it only seems fair to have the three of you reunite tonight."

Roland frowned, his dark eyes tired and confused. "Re... Reunited?" He asked, the word unfamiliar to him. Regina chuckled and gently pulled the boy a bit closer.

"Mmhm." She hummed. "That means to be together again." Regina explained, glancing up to see Roland's father standing in the doorway. Regina blushed, glancing back down at the young boy.

"But... But you promise to still be here right? You aren't... Giving it back because you're leaving?" The little boy worried, gripping his monkey just a bit tighter out of fear. It was then Regina's turn to frown, shaking her own head as piercing blue eyes stared at her from above.

"No no, nothing like that my dear. I promise I'm not going anywhere. Remember? I got lost." Regina winked as Roland gave her a sleepy smile.

"Pinky promise?" He asked, shoving his pudgy little pinky into Regina's face. She'd never seen someone do this. What exactly was she to do with this? Her eyes found Roland's father's again and he smiled wide, flashing the same dimples as Roland before nodding.

Regina gently kissed the tip of his finger, making the boy giggle. She smiled too as Roland grabbed her hand. "No, silly. Like this." He said, making her hand a fist and leaving her pinky sticking out. "You gotta wrap it around mine. Then you can kiss it. It... It makes the promise true."

Blushing at her lack of knowledge, Regina did as she was told, wrapping her slender finger around his. Roland kissed their joined fingers first before allowing her to do the same. "Now," she sighed, standing and smoothing her skirts out. "I think it's time for someone to go to bed. Can't get too sleepy can you?"

***

The day after her birthday. Usually there would have been a big feast, a celebration. Gifts would have been received from around the realm, but Regina rarely ever saw them again. Visitors would have come to the palace and Regina could have a day all to herself.

But today was different. Today, Regina stood outside a campsite of 10 men as Granny stood and talked with Robin, Roland's father, a few paces out of earshot. It was early in the morning, the sun not warm enough to make the fog of her breath disappear.

9 small tents surrounded her as well as a small fire pit in the center. Trees grew around the tents, casting shade. Bags were still packed, sitting close by four logs that Regina guessed were for sitting. It was quiet except for the faint murmur of Robin and Granny's voices. Regina stood patiently off to the side with her hands clasped in front of her.

She knew it was rude to stare, but her eyes couldn't help but wander to the young man standing beside the elderly woman. He wasn't terribly tall, so much that he towered over others, but he was about a head or so taller than both women. His bright blue eyes, unlike his son's, flicked back from Granny to Regina as he spoke. His stance was one that resembled royalty, although he was far from it. A light scruff covered his jaw and cheeks. Overall, he seemed to be a strong, handsome man.

"Gina!" Regina turned at the sound of Roland's voice, startled by the shrill sound of his young screech.

"Roland, hush. You'll wake the others." Robin whispered, looking at the young boy who held the flap to one tent open. He stood in his night clothes, his hair ruffled. His monkey dragged against the dirt as his little fist gripped the tail of the stuffed animal. Roland nodded at his father's command, slowly walking towards his companion.