Chapter Three: Masquerade

"Be careful of the roads." Granny warned, tugging her cloak tighter around her shoulders. Robin slung his quiver over one shoulder and frowned.

"And why is that?" He asks, glancing back as his men packed up to go.

The older woman clutched her door, licking her lips to keep them moist in the dry morning air. "I heard Ruby speaking with one of the men last night at the bar. The Masquerade is tonight. The unseen princess has been engaged. People from all over are going just to see a glimpse of what she looks like."

Robin had heard of this. At first he had thought it was just rumors, the princess was so young, but he nodded anyways. If his men hadn't wanted to make this trip back to the Quarters, maybe he'd have made a visit to the castle himself. Sure it would've been crowded and there wasn't really any reason to it, but he'd have liked to take Roland to experience higher life. Instead, Robin was stuck leaving his son so that he could go and visit his old home. The place where memories weren't a blessing, but a curse. His men, of course, didn't know he was dreading the trip. Why would they? If it would make them happy, Robin was more than willing to comply.

"Robin!" Much called, putting his pack onto his back. Robin jumped slightly, bowing his head to the older woman. "My apologies. I must be leaving." Granny smiled and squeezed Robin's hand.

"Just be safe okay?" She asked, the woman never failing to be the motherly figure none of the men had ever had. "I'll take good care of little Roland."

***

One of the pins stuck into Regina's side, scraping her olive skin. She held in a yelp, however, wanting this all to be over with. Thoughts of the plan for her escape swirled in her head. She wasn't sure if she was ready for this. But then again, did she want to be married to a fraud?

"Regina you look lovely." The slightly different accented voice came from the entry door. There, in a emerald green dress and white cloak, stood Regina's sister Zelena. Her fiery red hair was down in long waves.

A small smile formed in the young girls lips as she watched her sister approach in the mirror. "Thank you." Regina bowed her head in respect as Zelena did the same. "Did you and Rumple travel safely?" She asked, watching as her sister's smile faded.

"Let's not speak of that right now." Zelena suggested, grabbing the cream gloves that sat on a small desk beside my fitting table. My face faltered as she helped me slip the gloves on. "You look beautiful, little goose." She whispers, stepping out of the way of one of the maids.

"This is only the engagement dress." I mutter dryly. "Just think of the wedding dress. I bet mother already has it planned out." Zelena frowned, scolding words on the tip of her tongue. She knew how hard it was to be married off to a man she barely knew, but she also knew it was better to stay quiet than to voice her own opinions.

Thankfully, Katherine beat her to it.

"Regina. Don't be like that. You never know what you may end up feeling for this man. It's for the better of your kingdom. Your parents surely know what's best for you." She whispers, pinning Regina's hair up with little flower pins. Her lips parted to contradict what her nurse was saying but again, Katherine beat the girl to it. "Don't you dare disagree with me. I know it's hard, your highness. If you don't believe your father, believe me. I love you as my own and you know that. It may not be the best option, I certainly don't agree with it, but is there anything can do? The King doesn't seem like that bad of a person. You may not love him but you might find friendship."

Regina takes her nurses hand, her brow furrowed. After tonight, regina would miss this woman. She would miss the gentle touch and the sweet voice. She would miss the woman she always wanted to be her mother. "Don't you believe in true love though?" Regina questioned.

Katherine laughed and kissed the top of Reginas hand. "Let's not dwell on this right now. Let's help Her Majesty get ready for tonight. We've got about two hours."

***

The cool air whipped her already pink cheeks. It was almost sundown and the line of carriages and people wound up the hill and out of sight. The knots in Regina's stomach only twisted as she thought about tonight. Anything could happen. Anything at all. This was the first time she would be publicly seen. She could mess up or maybe someone was planning an attack on the palace.

"Regina?" Her knuckles grasped the railing outside her balcony even tighter as she heard her mother's voice. "Regina what are you doing up here?"

"Breathing, mother." Regina replied, turning to see Cora in a black jeweled dress. It was sleeved and very tight fitting until the hips, where the skirt finally gave out.

The cackle that came out of her lips made Regina since. "Oh please, don't be so foolish. Come now, it's time to greet your guests." Her grip on the balcony was loosened as Cora dragged her daughter down into the ballroom. There, she saw Leo in a white outfit as well.

"Go." Cora hissed. "Jeffery is about to announce you." Regina stumbled over her large ball gown and into her fiancé's arms.

"You look lovely." King Leopold whispered, holding regina tight.

"Save it." Regina muttered, looping her arm through Leo's elbow.

"... And Princess Regina Annalise Mills." The doors to the large ballroom swung open to reveal a sea of black. If it wasn't for the previous knowledge that Jeffery was to announce her arrival, regina wouldn't even know it was him. Every single human being in the room was in black with a mask over their face. Some were more elegant and fancy than others but everyone was masked. Everyone except Regina.

Heat flushed to her her cheeks as Leo lead her to the front of the room. The mass of people bowed and curtseyed, allowing Regina and Leopold to do the same.

***

The party swirled around her as time went on. People asked for danced, congratulations were shared and conversation was had. But the thoughts in Regina's mind never failed her.

The escape was tonight.

She was going to leave the castle and let everyone deal with the fraud she was to marry. But other than that, Regina had been left out in the dark. It was better that way, Graham had reassured her.

"Excuse me, Your Highness?" Regina turned from Zelena and another wife of some important diplomat to see Jeffrey. "I'm so sorry to interrupt but I do need to speak with you for just a moment?"

Regina excused herself from the conversation and let herself be lead out of the large room filled with loud noise. "Is it time?" She asked nervously.

"I'm afraid so." The solemn look on her assistants face made the food in Regina's stomach churn. "But don't worry. It'll all be fine."

Before Jeffrey could speak another word, Regina stopped in the corridor and wrapped her arms around the man. "I'm scared." She whispered. Jeffery pressed his hands against Reginas back and sighed.

"I know. But it's for the good of your family. You'll be back in the safety of the walls in no time. Right now, I just need you to stay here. Okay?" Regina panicked, the pounding of her heart leaping into her throat.

"No no. Please don't leave me. I'm worried beyond control, Jeffery." She pleaded, grasping his coat.

"Your Highness." Jeffery stayed, becoming stern. "I won't be gone for long. Please just..." He sighed, looking at the poor young girl in front of him. "Why don't you go into your chambers and change?" He suggests. "I'll see to it that nobody noticed your absence while we help you to escape."

Regina took a shaky breath before nodding. "Thank you." She muttered before scurrying down the halls.

Reaching her chambers, she slowly entered and immediately stripped herself from the large dress and into a nightgown of hers. All she had to do was sit and wait.

The knock at the door came all too soon. Was she ready to leave this palace for who knows how long? The doorknob turned and in entered Leopold, making Regina freeze in her tracks.

"Leaving so soon, Princess?"

Hey guys! I hope you're liking this book as much as I am! Please feel free to vote and leave comments! They really do help for inspiration! Thanks so much!