Chapter Fifty: Four Weeks

Regina winced, holding tightly to the bed posts as Katherine pulled harder on the strings of her majesty's corset. The world around Regina spun slightly with every shallow breath. Focusing on the dainty ring Robin had given her earlier that day, Regina bit her lip.

"There." Suddenly the yanking stopped. "That should do." Regina gasped as Katherine led Regina to sit by her vanity. The nurse began to brush out Regina's still damp hair. "For the next four weeks you will be separated from Robin in preparation for the wedding. You'll train for protection, motherhood, royalty and for your strength in magic." Seeing that she had lost Regina's attention to a small bead on the vanity, Katherine yanked a strand of Regina's hair, eliciting a yelp and a glare. "It is forbidden for you two to see each other, do you understand?"

Regina nodded, slouching down in he chair. How was it that after almost two years of leading and being in charge she was back in her room, smaller and less powerful than the mice within the castle walls?

"No slouching." Katherine snapped. "Sit up straight and let me finish up."

And so Regina sat, waiting to be released from the makeshift prison Katherine had fabricated. Regina knew if was for the best but couldn't contain the agitation that began to build up from being cooped up all day. She paced her bedroom floors while Katherine picked out a suitable outfit and chewed her nails as Katherine rambled on about the duties of being Queen. At last, when Regina thought she couldn't take it anymore, a knock on the door drew Katherine away long enough for Regina to scurry over to the balcony doors. Her hands fumbled with the lock as an urgency to breathe fresh air became greater.

"Ah just in time!" Katherine chimed, halting Regina's clumsy effort to escape her four walls. "Regina, Zelena is here for tea."

Turning so that her back pressed against the glass doors, Regina smiled as she greeted her sister. "Good, Good. I'll leave you two now." Katherine curtsied before making her way to the door. "It was nice seeing you, Zelena. And I'll see you tomorrow morning." Katherine raised a single eyebrow before closing the door behind her; the silent threat of what she would do to Regina if she stepped out of line lingering in the air.

"You look lovely." Zelena cleared her throat, waiting for Katherine's footsteps to fade. "I figured you might want to take a walk around the palace grounds." Regina nodded in silence, walking to her sister's side.

They left the palace together, side by side, neither one of them speaking much. It was the first time in 5 years since the two had been alone together for more than a few minutes. The sisters were now merely acquaintances in each other's presence. No longer did they share the bond of sisterhood: only duty held them together.

"What was it like?" Zelena broke the silence, clasping her hands in front of her.

Regina looked up, surprised at the nature of the question. There were so many things Zelena could've meant. Their experiences were far apart: Zelena grew up as a proper wife while Regina was left in the shadows, unruly when no one was looking. But Regina knew Zelena was curious about her adventures outside the castle walls. Neither of them had been to a village or surrounding town.

"Scary." Regina admitted. "But then I fell into the arms of a nice woman and her daughter. They owned a tavern. And I had to work for my stay." Regina caught Zelena's look of disgust and smiled. "It wasn't hard work, really. I washed dishes and served beer."

"That's unacceptable!" Zelena gasped. "The Queen should never-"

"They didn't know who I was." Reina reminded her sister. "I got to take care of a little boy. He was the only thing that gave me hope."

"Did you want to come back?" Zelena paused then, taking a moment to see just how grown up Regina had become.

"I told myself that I wanted to. But I don't think I did. I met Robin and he offered to take me with him. I was happy with him. I was free."