Chapter Thirteen: Travelers Town

"Gina look!"

At the sound of Roland's shrill voice, she turned to see him running towards her with a single daisy in his little hand. Regina smiled and held out her hand to him.

"Gina I got you a flower." Roland grabbed her hand and thrusted the flower up over his head for her to see. Plucking the wilting plant from his grip, Regina made a show of looking and smelling.

"Oh Roland, it's so beautiful." She mused, tucking it into her hair. "Thank you."

Ahead of her, Robin stopped in his path, looking to Little John on his right. They discussed silently for a moment before John dropped to his knees, studying the ground before him. Regina stood silently, watching the interaction like the rest of the men, as Roland danced and twirled at her side.

"What's happening?" She whispered, shifting to lean closer to Will.

"Not sure." He replied, eyes focused ahead.

Robin turned, making the nervous knot in her belly grow. "What is it?" Moore asked, shifting his sack on his back. John stood as well, running a hand over his face.

"Hoof markings. Wheels too." Little John grumbled, pointing in front of the path they were taking. "Headed that way."

Regina frowned, not knowing what it meant. "The Royal Guard." Robin stated, making the color in Regina's face fade.

"There's no war." She reasoned, making all heads turn to her. "No announcement. No holiday. Are you sure it's the Guard?"

"They want someone. Something." Little John grumbled. "Whatever it is, we can't let them find us." Regina nodded in agreement, not wanting to run into her soldiers. Or even worse, Leo's soldiers.

The sound of blood pumping through her veins grew as the world stilled. If they found her, she'd have to go through with the marriage. She'd be Queen. And she'd be away from Robin. Away from Roland. She envied the women in these villages. The women who had a loving and wholesome husband. A child or two. Maybe even three or four. A fulfilling job. A life. With no one telling them what to do. No expectations. They had love. And Regina wanted it. She wanted love and she wanted that child that looked up to her. She wanted to teach instead of learn. To laugh with friends as she washed or cleaned.

"Regina?" Her head snapped up, locking eyes with Robin. "Can you make it to the next village through the forest?" 

She nodded, brushing her hair back. "Of course." Her arm twisted and dove as Roland swung around her waist, his chubby hand clamped down on hers.

"Are you sure?"

But Robin knew. That hard determination darkened her eyes. She looked almost regal standing there in a white dress, her wavy hair flowing around her shoulders.

"Positive."

***

It was indescribably beautiful. Everything was so simple and peaceful. There was a little central hub of bars and shops with benches outside. A little well lined with sunflowers sat off to the side by a road that led to little hits that the villagers lived in. Colorful flowers and bright green plants crowded every corner they could. It was completely different than anything Regina had ever seen. Yet she felt so at home.

Robin was speaking of some woman he knew- Milah, Regina recalled- that would let them board in her inn for a night or two. Usually he would've just set up camp but he'd rather not unpack if they were only to be here a night or so. He thought his men and Roland needed a restful night, and of course Regina had agreed.

But once they stepped into the heart of this small village, Regina hadn't payed attention to a word he'd said. She was exhausted for one- never in her life had she been active for so long- but she was also taken away by the sight in front of her.