Chapter Twelve: Night Terrors

It was the fourth night in a row that Regina had woken from terrors. Four ruthless images of her family and friends being cut down by her fiancé. But tonight was different. Tonight it was Roland and Robin who suffered the consequences. Slowly drifting into consciousness, Regina could hear herself crying out- feel the light film of sweat that covered her whole body.

Light-though it was dim- broke away the dark shadows and revealed the same super hero that had chased away her fears for three three nights before. But today she was surprised and quite relieved to see him there. The reality of what had happened- that she'd had a dream- still hadn't hit Regina. So, when Robin stepped into her tent, she stared up at him in shock.

"Mi'lady?" Robin asked, carefully hanging his lantern and stepping closer until he was squatting at her side. Regina reached out, letting a gentle finger run down his jaw and neck- over the spot where minutes earlier she had seen Leo splice with a sword.

"You're..." She whispered, taking a moment as the lump in her throat grew in size. "You're okay?" She croaked, tears now falling down her cheeks. Regina reached for the man beside her and Robin didn't hesitate to respond. She needed him now.

He bundled her up in his arms, her body collapsing and folding like cloth in the wind, melting into his chest. Her face pressed against Robin's chest as she cried, his hands firmly pressed against her back. "Of course I'm okay." Robin soothed, his lips brushing the soft skin of her head. The spark was back. The feeling he'd felt-and surely she did too, Robin thought- when he had first taught her how to shoot. Her small frame pressed against his made the blood in his veins boil like fire.

Strong hands rubbed her back, drawing small circles on her spine. Regina cried, images of her nightmare flashing back to her. Thoughts of death and betrayal as well as memories of her life before the mishap crowded her mind.

"Would you want to talk about it?" Robin asked after a while, sitting still as Regina played with a piece of her dark hair. "It might help..."

She sighed, closing her eyes and willing the images to go away. Willing the sounds of their cries to cease. "I... I can't. They won't go away." She whispered. "They haunt me constantly." She whimpered the words, barely loud enough for Robin to hear anything.

"What does?" Robin asked again, trying to learn what was troubling the woman. She was much more calm now, breathing deeply. Her body didn't shake anymore as sobs burst outwards.

Regina felt more like herself. Like her old self.

How dare he touch me.

The thought flashed quickly through her mind. It was the way of her old self. The way of a queen who didn't dare let anyone touch her. Especially not a thief like Robin.

He shifted, sensing the tension that wrapped around her muscles like a second skin. She scowled down at her knees before shivering at the lack of body heat.

Come back.

It was an even quicker thought. One that barely processed. But it was there. In the back of her mind. Robin was gentle and kind. He actually cared about her and not how much he'd inherit once he became king. Robin was a true gentleman, even if he wasn't raised in a household of Lords and Dukes.

Before Regina could speak- could crawl back into the comfort she'd just lost- the flap to her tent burst open, making her jump. There Roland stood, gripping his white nightgown, tears streaming his little red face. Her heart seized as she saw the terror in his eyes, recognizing as the kind she'd had in hers every night Robin had come in.

Robin moved to get up but his son rushed past him, throttling himself into Regina's arms. Surprised, she wrapped her arms right around the little boy as he hurried his head in her neck and cried. Robin turned around, frowning as he knelt by her, setting a hand on his son's back.

"What's wrong?" Robin asked, not receiving any answer. Instead, Roland pressed himself closer to Regina, gripping her hair and night shirt. "Roland..." He whispered, lowering himself so he sat next to Regina, his knee brushing hers.

She pressed a soft kiss to the boy's head, hoisting him up to hold him better. She rocked softly, humming in his ear the same song Katherine sang back in the palace. Roland's cries softened until he was almost silent, tears silently falling down his chubby cheeks. "Baby tell me." She whispered as the tent flap opened again. Will poked his head in, averting his eyes so that he wouldn't see Regina when she was indecent.

"I'm sorry." His voice was gruff and barely audible over the whimpers and hiccups of Roland. "The boy woke and just ran."

Robin nodded, a hand slipping to Regina's back. She sat up, shocked at the touch of his hand. "It's alright." He whispered. "Thank you. We've got it. Roland and I will be back in our tent soon."

Will nodded disappearing back into the dark of night. Regina turned to face the man beside her, kissing Roland's head again.

Robin watched her face, seeing fatigue stretch across the surface. Her usually bright eyes were dull, the corners of her lips tugging downwards into a slight frown. She blinked, her eyelids closing over her eyes for longer than usual.

Before she knew what was happening, Robin had moved behind her and pulled her back against his chest. "Relax." He whispered in her ear, placing his hands over hers on his sons back.

"Thank you." She muttered, placing one hand over Roland's head before looking down at the boy. "Roland?" She whispered, stroking his hair. "Baby... Look at me?"

Slowly, Roland looked up, sniffling. His big brown eyes blinked, letting more tears drop from his lashes. Regina sighed, cupping his cheeks and wiping away until his skin was just damp. "There-" Roland hiccuped, making Regina's eyes widen. "There were monsters." He whimpered, looking past her to see his father. "They were scary."

Regina nodded, kissing his head. "I bet baby. But it's okay. Daddy's here. He can protect us." She tapped his nose and smiled. "And those mean monsters will have to get through me first. Just lay down for me baby?" Roland nodded, letting his head fall into her chest. Regina smiled and sagged against Robin's chest, closing her eyes and sighing.

"Regina you're tired." Robin whispered in her ear. "Let me take Roland and we will let you rest. There's no reason to keep you up." His body shifted, legs pulling up so he'd squat. Regina's fingers wrapped around his wrist as she turned, other hand holding his son.

"Don't go." She whispered. "Please." Her eyes closed as she drew in a deep breath. "I'm tired Robin." She whispered after a moment of silence.

Letting a frustrated breath leave his lips, Robin ran a hand through his hair. "I know." He mumbled, closing his own eyes. "Here, lay down. I'll cover you."

Without protest, Regina laid down, holding Roland close to her chest. And knowing that he wouldn't win the argument of leaving her in peace, Robin draped a blanket over her and blew out the candle.

Hey guys! I hope you like this chapter! Just a little insight on a night at camp!! Please leave your feedback! I can't wait until next Friday!