Chapter Fifteen: Drifting Away

Her legs were stiff as her stomach tangled into a knot. She hadn't thought this through. Hadn't thought about what would happen when Robin found out. Hadn't thought of the consequences.

Regina's heart throbbed in her chest, the heat in her body rising. Her cheeks flushed as her hands shook, the nerves in her body on edge. She felt like a young girl who'd just stolen from the kitchen or snuck out past bed time after she got caught.

Like she was in trouble. Like she wanted Robin's approval.

The cold wind whipped around her, the sky turning darker by the minute. Regina was left in silence, except for the soft hum of noise coming from the nearest tavern; the one Robin's men sat in. Her body quivered out of both fear and out of discomfort from the dropping temperatures outside.

Tears slipped from her cheeks, growing with multitude until Regina couldn't see anymore. The dark forest line blurred with the gravel road and the candles lit inside small huts grew in size. Her bottom lip quivered as she wrapped her arms around her abdomen. Everything she'd tried to build, the relationship she wanted.l, was ruined. Just like it had been time and time again. Once people found out she was of Royal Blood, they stepped back. They didn't want to be a part of her life. She had been locked away her entire life as the mystery princess and had never been liked for who she was instead of her title. Even now.

In her mind, thoughts and ideas twisted with terrible truths. Now that Robin knew, would he leave her here in town? Or even worse- turn her in for the reward?

No. He couldn't.

He had been there all those nights for her. He'd taken her along with him in the first place. He had shown feelings for her.

Surely he wasn't thinking of such harsh actions. Or could he be?

Robin now sat in the midst of the tavern, alone at a table. His mind reeled as his knuckles turned white from gripping the bench too hard.

He should have known. He should have known she was different. The way she acted, so delicate and deserving. The way she spoke, her harsh accent and proper dialect. Even the way she looked completely gave her away. No villager was as tall and skinny and well kept as Regina was. No one was as naïve as she. As he had been as well.

This secret she kept put his family in danger. No matter what reason she was alone in her kingdom- whether it be her fault or the fault of someone else's- she was wanted. And traveling with his men and son did not put them in a safe situation. She could've gotten them killed. Tortured.

And the worst part was that he had trusted her. Put her into his life and trusted her with it. With his sons. And she kept her from him. Anger seethed within him until he couldn't take it anymore.

"Robin." Will's voice echoed through Robin's head, turning into the cry Regina had created just minutes ago. He couldn't take it anymore. Everything in the tavern reminded him of her. The music was so similar to the tune she danced with him, the occasional excited giggle from a woman like her own.

Slamming his fist down on the table, Robin stood and stormed out into the connecting inn. The wanted scroll fell from his pocket, floating onto the table where all of his men stood. Robin ran a hand over his jaw, glancing out a window as he walked down the hall. It must be cold, he thought.

And cold it was.

Regina wrapped her arms around herself, watching as her breath floated over the hill in foggy patches. She looked out over the lower forest regions, watched as the snow fell from the dark sky and rested on the bushy green tops of the trees. Her sobs had stopped until she just sat quietly, looking out over the peaceful land. How she wished she could erase time. To start over and to just tell him the-

"Your Majesty?" A harsh whisper swept over the quiet valley, but Regina didn't turn her head. "Your Majesty." An exasperated sigh and footsteps crunching against snow. "Regina!"

"What?" She barked, turning to see Will only a few feet away. Her voice was much harsher than either of them had expected, making the silence between them grow.

"Come inside?" He asked, rubbing his hands together. "It's freezing out here." Regina shook her head, trying to avoid eye contact. "What?" Will scoffed, "you aren't cold? Regina don't play that. Come in, you'll be sick if you don't."

"What do you want?" She barked, wiping under her eyes. Regina was freezing, shaking uncontrollably.

"Please? You must be cold. Just come inside." Stepping closer, Will sighed, cautiously wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "I promise Robin won't be there. Let's just... Talk. How does that sound? Hmm?"

Hey guys! I don't have much to say this week except that I hoped you enjoyed the chapter and to please please leave me your feed back! Thanks so much!