Chapter Fourty-Seven: True Colors

Regina watched as the two wooden doors swung shut, the sound of them colliding together echoing over their heads. Her chest, once filled with elation, was as empty as her large castle. Gathering her skirts, Regina moved forwards, leaving behind her guests at the table to run after the only person in her world that mattered.

"Robin?" Her voice carried down the hallway that lead to the foyer and past the east gardens. All that could be seen of the thief and his son was his back. The white cotton shirt that draped loosely over his body snapped with the briskness of his step, Roland's footsteps pattering as he ran to keep up with his father. "Robin!" Regina picked up her pace as the distance between her and Robin increased.

Stopping in her tracks, Regina watched as Robin halted, kneeling to say something to Roland before watching the boy run off towards the garden. Regina's stomach twisted, watching as Robin turned to her.

"Robin." She whispered this time, feeling like a small girl in the wake of a man's anger. "I... I'm sorry."

"For what, Regina?" Exasperation oozed from Robins voice, electrifying the air. "Lying to me? Putting my son in danger?"

"I never meant-"

"I'm not finished." Regina picked at a piece of her evening gown, her eyes shifting down to her fingers. "Why, Regina? Why did you hide this from me? Was this all a trap to get me back here? Is this some kind of sick plan?"

Silence hung over the two like a heavy quilt, the lack of sound almost worse than what was being said.

"You murdered someone, Regina. Killed them off. And for what? You put my son in danger and you lied to me! Deceived me."

"Because this is exactly what I thought would happen!" Frustration burst from Regina, giving her a sense of power as she straightened her back. "Need I remind you that my fiancé not only helped kill my father but wanted me gone too? What was I supposed to do, robin? I was protecting myself. And you! He was the one that was hurting you. The one who gave you those scars and took your son from you. You should be grateful."

"For what, Regina?" Robin seethed, taking a step closer to his opponent. "For getting rid of King Leopold or for using your magic for what you wrongly thought was good?"

Disbelief washed over the queen as laughter bubbled from deep within her chest. "Do you remember anything from before being locked away? You used to talk about witches and wizards and magical creatures as if they were a disgrace or a burden." Turing away from Robin, Regina took to pacing the width of the hall. "You think I would openly come to you and tell you about what I had learned?"

"How am I supposed to trust you?" Robin growled, squeezing his eyes shut.

"What was I supposed to do, Robin? My magic is what saved your life." Regina stopped, turning to face her opponent. Her stomach twisted as if she were to be sick. As they fell deeper into this argument, Regina could see Robin slowly break a part from her.

"Jesus, you don't see it, do you? Regina, magic is your crutch. It's the person in your ear telling you that something may be right. Even if it really isn't. You could've saved me. But you didn't. You hid behind something that has made you weak." Robin spat.

"You don't mean that." Regina shook her head.

"Magic is what put me down there in the first place!" Robin howled. "Magic is what separated my son and I! It's why I suffered all those days down there. Witchcraft isn't what I signed up for, Regina. And neither is lying."

Regina stopped then, her breath shallow. "What are you saying then?" Regina asked. Praying to the lord above that this wasn't going where she dreaded, the queen stepped forward, flinching when he stepped back.

Royal BloodOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara