Chapter Fifty-Seven: One Night

Regina turned her head at the sound of Robin's voice, smiling when she saw him standing by the bar. She didn't know whether his brow was furrowed out of confusion or anger but hoped that soon it wouldn't matter.

"What are you doing here?" Robin asked, slowly placing his mug on the bar top. "You- you're supposed to be-"

"I missed you." Regina whispered, clasping her hands together. "I just needed to see you. One night, that's all. I'll be home at the castle by dawn, I swear." Her cheeks flushed as she felt her authority slip from grasp. "I can't sleep anymore, I worry about you so much. I just came to really make sure you were okay. Those letters weren't cutting it."

The old wooden floorboards creaked under Robins feet as he moved forwards, a small smile cutting through the anger on his face. Regina's breath hitched as she waited for his reaction. She knew she shouldn't be here. Not only was it unsafe for her and the baby, but she also left Roland behind with a million worries in his small head.  But to her, it was worth it. Seeing him again, seeing his ruffled hair and even the new dark circles under his eyes, put her at ease. He was safe and unharmed and stress was something they could handle together. Of course, it was horrible seeing the effects-

Robin pulled Regina into a tight hug, nuzzling his face into her hair. "I missed you so much." Robin whispered into her ear. Regina exhaled then, letting her bag fall as she wrapped her arms tight around her husband. "I love you."

Regina laughed as she tried to hold back tears of joy. Hearing Robin's words lifted a great weigh from her shoulders, leaving the queen satisfied. "I love you more than anything." Regina shook her head. "And if you ever think something can keep us away for this long, you're wrong." Robin chuckled and pulled back, his eyes moving over every inch of her body.

"Would you like a drink?" He asked, his hands sliding to her waist as his fingers brushed over her abdomen.

"I'm fine for now, thank you." Regina smiled, tilting her head. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You just..." robin smiled, shrugging his shoulders. "You look wonderful." He finally said, his bright blue eyes flicking back to meet Regina's. "I've never seen you dressed like this. It's different." Robin chuckled at Regina's raised eyebrow. "Good different. I promise."

"Your majesty!" A soldier saluted, waving as he stood from the mass of men at the back of the tavern. "I didn't even recognize-"

Graham reached up, covering the young man's mouth as he shoved him back into the intrigued crowd before making his way to Regina and Robin. "Your majesty," his voice was low as he looked between her and Robin. "I didn't know you'd be joining us."

"Just for a night. I wanted to make sure everything was going as planned." Regina nodded.

"Ah. Well, we're just waiting for part of our troupe to return before moving forward. They should be arriving in the morning." Graham explained, bowing down before glancing over his shoulder. "The men shouldn't really know that you're here. Attention could be fatal."

"Don't worry." Robin took Regina's hand in his own, pulling her into his side. "We were just leaving. We'll be back at the inn tonight. Don't worry about us." Regina beamed as she nodded, turning with Robin as they moved towards the door.

"Where are we going?" Regina whispered as she slipped through the tavern door back out into the hustle and bustle of the port city.

"Well," Robin lead her around the corner. "I've got something in mind." Regina smiled as she squeezed Robins hand in excitement.

Growing up at the castle, Regina had been very sheltered. The only time she had been able to leave the palace walls was when Leopoldo had sent her away on the night before their wedding. Being a refugee kept her confined to Granny's inn and the campsites Robin made along their journey. Tonight was the first night that Regina was free to do whatever she wanted to do.