Chapter Fifty-Eight: Days Past

Regina was immersed in darkness, not able to see her own hand in front of her face. Pain ripped through her chest as liquid heat slowly built up, running down her stomach and legs. Regina fell to her knees, gasping for breath as she began to feel almost like she was drowning. She couldn't think, couldn't process what was happening. Nothing made sense but everything hurt.

Shaking hands gripped Regina's shoulders, rolling her over onto her back. Regina frowned, stretching in her sleep as she groaned before burying herself underneath the blankets. "What is it?" She murmured, keeping her eyes shut in a refusal to wake up. "Just come to bed, Robin." She muttered as the hands squeezed her arm tighter. "Just for a few-"

"Your highness."

Regina's eyes flew open as she sat up in bed, frazzled to see one of the younger soldiers on her side of the bed. Panic drained the color from the boy's cheeks as he stared into his queen's eyes. Regina frowned as the boy thrust his jacket in her direction, taking the garment and slowly slipping it around her shoulders.

"What... what's happening?" Regina asked, taking the soldier's hand as she stood. "Where's Robin?"

"We don't have much time." The boy explained as he tugged at Regina's arm. Regina tripped over her bag as the two flew out the door and down the hall. Soldiers ran back and forth down the small servant's hall as they frantically shouted orders at each other. Regina stumbled down the stairs in a haze until they emerged at the entrance of the inn.

A small crowd of people clumped around the center of the room, weaving through each other in a loud bustle. They all turned, ceasing their conversation and actions as Regina stepped into the room.

"Regina..." Robin's voice was no louder than a hushed whisper, dry and weak. Regina's gut twisted as soldiers made a path towards a body on a table. Regina rushed forwards, tears already hindering her sight.

Robin laid before her on his back, his head propped up by his bunched up jacket. Blood ran from a gash across his neck and chest and dropped down his fingers onto the floor.

Regina closed her eyes as she fought back a sob, looking around the crowd of people. "What happened?"

"A sneak attack, Your majesty." A young man said, bowing in respect.

"Well don't just sit around here! Somebody save him!" Regina sobbed, looking frantically at her men before finally looking to Granny. Standing amongst the soldiers, she was almost hidden from view. But the curt shake of her head told Regina there was no saving to be done. She was going to loose Robin.

"What can I do? Tell me what I can do." Regina took Robin's hand and held it close to her, taking a shallow breath.

"Regina." Robin smiled, squeezing her hand as he groaned in pain. "Come closer." Regina did as she was told, trying as hard as she could to keep herself from crying. Her free hand stroked his cheek as she whimpered. "Kiss me."

"Robin..." Regina's hand shook with fear. "Please. Let me try to save you. I... my magic. Surely I can do something."

Robin shook his head as his own tears welled, his breathing coming unsteadily as he weighed in pain. "It's not worth it." Regina let out a sob, immediately covering her mouth with her hand. "Please. Just kiss me." Robin begged, reaching up to run his hand through her hair. Regina smiled softly and nodded as she leaned down to capture his lips upon hers.

Passion turned to sadness and love as Regina focused on the only thing she'd ever wanted in life. The thing she was to loose. "I can fix this." Regina whispered, her hand firm in his chest.

"No you can't." Robin cried, shaking his head. "No you can't." Regina let out a sob, showering Robin with gentle kisses as her tears mixed with his. "I love you more than anything I've ever known. And I love my son. God, Regina , I love my son."